RIM renames BBX as BlackBerry 10 after trademark dispute
RIM was restrained from using the BBX trademark at an event this week
IDG News Service - Research In Motion has rebranded its next generation mobile platform as BlackBerry 10, after its use of the BBX brand ran into a trademark dispute in the U.S.
RIM said in a statement on Wednesday that it had announced at its DevCon Asia conference in Singapore a new brand name for its next generation mobile platform for smartphones and tablets, which will bring the best of the BlackBerry and QNX platforms to customers and partners.
"The BlackBerry 10 name reflects the significance of the new platform and will leverage the global strength of the BlackBerry brand while also aligning perfectly with RIM's device branding," RIM said.
On Tuesday, RIM was barred by a court in the U.S. from using the BBX name at the Singapore conference, after a software company, Basis International filed for a temporary restraining order.
Basis of Albuquerque, New Mexico, which claims the BBX trademark, threatened legal action in October, less than a week after RIM announced plans for its new platform called BBX for smartphones, tablets and embedded systems. RIM said at the time that although it has not yet seen the legal complaint, it did not believe the marks are confusing because the two companies are in different lines of business.
The United States District Court for the District of New Mexico on Tuesday however observed that Basis and RIM offer their products to the same class of consumers and in the same channels of trade. The BBX mark is identical to the mark which RIM is allegedly using to present its BBX product, it added.
RIM said on Wednesday that it does not typically comment on pending litigation.
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!