Facebook hires Gowalla team; will shutter the location service
Facebook said it was not acquiring the Gowalla service or technology
IDG News Service - Facebook has hired the team at Gowalla, a mobile location service in Austin, Texas, but the service will be shut down by January, the companies said Monday.
Gowalla co-founders Josh Williams and Scott Raymond attended Facebook's f8 conference for developers and entrepreneurs in September, and they were "blown away by Facebook's new developments".
"A few weeks later Facebook called, and it became clear that the way for our team to have the biggest impact was to work together," Williams said in a blog post on Monday.
"So we're excited to announce that we'll be making the journey to California to join Facebook!," Williams said.
Facebook confirmed that the co-founders and other members of the Gowalla team are moving to Facebook in January to join its design and engineering teams.
Facebook isn't taking on the Gowalla service or technology, the company said in a statement. The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
The Gowalla service lets people share with friends information on the locations they are in, including through photos taken on their mobile phones. "The Gowalla Passport has become a record of all the places we've visited, the people we were with, the photos we took, and the stories we told," Williams said.
Gowalla, as a service, will however be winding down at the end of January. "We plan to provide an easy way to export your Passport data, your Stamp and Pin data (along with your legacy Item data), and your photos as well," Williams said. Facebook is not acquiring Gowalla's user data, he added.
Facebook said in its statement that after talking with the Gowalla team, it realized that it shared many of the same goals, such as "building great products that reach millions of people, making a big impact quickly, and creating new ways for people to connect and share what's going on in their lives".
Facebook however declined to comment on whether the products the Gowalla team would work on would be similar to the offering at their previous venture.
- The New IT Explore enhanced productivity for IT staff, and seamless integration across IT operation management systems. Download now.
- Deep Security +VMware vSphere with Operations Management Most midsize organizations are highly virtualized on VMware, and while this has produced significant savings, it also has created new challenges when it...
- Single-Vendor Security Ecosystems Offer Concrete Benefits Over Point Solutions IT security decision-makers from companies with 100 to 5,000 employees evaluates the current endpoint security solution market based on Forrester's own market data,...
- Best Practices for Security and Compliance with Amazon Web Services This paper will discuss what part of the shared responsibility equation customers are responsible for and what some of the recommended security practices...
- Bringing software licenses into compliance A hospital group received a software license audit, so they called in CDW to help define and manage their software licensing status.
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.