Facebook hires Gowalla team; will shutter the location service
Facebook said it was not acquiring the Gowalla service or technology
IDG News Service - Facebook has hired the team at Gowalla, a mobile location service in Austin, Texas, but the service will be shut down by January, the companies said Monday.
Gowalla co-founders Josh Williams and Scott Raymond attended Facebook's f8 conference for developers and entrepreneurs in September, and they were "blown away by Facebook's new developments".
"A few weeks later Facebook called, and it became clear that the way for our team to have the biggest impact was to work together," Williams said in a blog post on Monday.
"So we're excited to announce that we'll be making the journey to California to join Facebook!," Williams said.
Facebook confirmed that the co-founders and other members of the Gowalla team are moving to Facebook in January to join its design and engineering teams.
Facebook isn't taking on the Gowalla service or technology, the company said in a statement. The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
The Gowalla service lets people share with friends information on the locations they are in, including through photos taken on their mobile phones. "The Gowalla Passport has become a record of all the places we've visited, the people we were with, the photos we took, and the stories we told," Williams said.
Gowalla, as a service, will however be winding down at the end of January. "We plan to provide an easy way to export your Passport data, your Stamp and Pin data (along with your legacy Item data), and your photos as well," Williams said. Facebook is not acquiring Gowalla's user data, he added.
Facebook said in its statement that after talking with the Gowalla team, it realized that it shared many of the same goals, such as "building great products that reach millions of people, making a big impact quickly, and creating new ways for people to connect and share what's going on in their lives".
Facebook however declined to comment on whether the products the Gowalla team would work on would be similar to the offering at their previous venture.
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.