Raytheon acquires cybersecurity vendor Pikewerks
The deal will help the defense and aerospace contractor defend against sophisticated threats facing customers, Raytheon says
IDG News Service - Defense and aerospace systems vendor Raytheon has acquired cybersecurity vendor Pikewerks in an effort to add to Raytheon's capabilities to defend against sophisticated threats facing customers in the intelligence, defense and commercial sectors, the companies announced Monday.
Raytheon did not disclose the terms, but the company said the deal would not "materially" impact its company sales or earnings per share in the fourth quarter of 2011 or fiscal year 2012. This is the ninth cybersecurity-related acquisition Raytheon has made since 2007.
Among Pikewerks' products are Electronic Armor, an anti-exploitation software tool that protects executable files, and Second Look, a software capability for live forensic analysis of operating systems. Pikewerks, based in Madison, Alabama, also has several kernel-level engineers focused on the Linux operating system, Raytheon said in a press release.
Pikewerks' founder and President Sandy Ring and CEO Michael Ring will remain with the company, Raytheon said.
Pikewerks has announced U.S. Army and Air Force contracts in recent months. In September, the company announced that the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) had extended funding for Pikewerks' work on the agency's Dark Droid project, an effort to improve security in the Android mobile operating system.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance To achieve PCI DSS compliance, you must identify and remediate all critical vulnerabilities detected during PCI scans. Threat Manager streamlines this process by...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives Reinvent Your Network Security With Palo Alto Networks The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts