Raytheon acquires cybersecurity vendor Pikewerks
The deal will help the defense and aerospace contractor defend against sophisticated threats facing customers, Raytheon says
IDG News Service - Defense and aerospace systems vendor Raytheon has acquired cybersecurity vendor Pikewerks in an effort to add to Raytheon's capabilities to defend against sophisticated threats facing customers in the intelligence, defense and commercial sectors, the companies announced Monday.
Raytheon did not disclose the terms, but the company said the deal would not "materially" impact its company sales or earnings per share in the fourth quarter of 2011 or fiscal year 2012. This is the ninth cybersecurity-related acquisition Raytheon has made since 2007.
Among Pikewerks' products are Electronic Armor, an anti-exploitation software tool that protects executable files, and Second Look, a software capability for live forensic analysis of operating systems. Pikewerks, based in Madison, Alabama, also has several kernel-level engineers focused on the Linux operating system, Raytheon said in a press release.
Pikewerks' founder and President Sandy Ring and CEO Michael Ring will remain with the company, Raytheon said.
Pikewerks has announced U.S. Army and Air Force contracts in recent months. In September, the company announced that the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) had extended funding for Pikewerks' work on the agency's Dark Droid project, an effort to improve security in the Android mobile operating system.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is email@example.com.
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!