Raytheon acquires cybersecurity vendor Pikewerks
The deal will help the defense and aerospace contractor defend against sophisticated threats facing customers, Raytheon says
IDG News Service - Defense and aerospace systems vendor Raytheon has acquired cybersecurity vendor Pikewerks in an effort to add to Raytheon's capabilities to defend against sophisticated threats facing customers in the intelligence, defense and commercial sectors, the companies announced Monday.
Raytheon did not disclose the terms, but the company said the deal would not "materially" impact its company sales or earnings per share in the fourth quarter of 2011 or fiscal year 2012. This is the ninth cybersecurity-related acquisition Raytheon has made since 2007.
Among Pikewerks' products are Electronic Armor, an anti-exploitation software tool that protects executable files, and Second Look, a software capability for live forensic analysis of operating systems. Pikewerks, based in Madison, Alabama, also has several kernel-level engineers focused on the Linux operating system, Raytheon said in a press release.
Pikewerks' founder and President Sandy Ring and CEO Michael Ring will remain with the company, Raytheon said.
Pikewerks has announced U.S. Army and Air Force contracts in recent months. In September, the company announced that the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) had extended funding for Pikewerks' work on the agency's Dark Droid project, an effort to improve security in the Android mobile operating system.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is email@example.com.
- The State of Video Conferencing Security Video conferencing equipment, found in almost every boardroom around the world, may be opening up companies to serious security breaches. This paper explains...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Cybersecurity for Dummies eBook This book provides an in-depth examination of real-world attacks and APTs, the shortcomings of legacy security solutions, the capabilities of next-generation firewalls, and...
- 10 Things Your Next Firewall Must do Next-Generation Firewalls Defined
- What are the desktop virtualization market trends and how can you successfully deploy your solution? You've probably heard about desktop virtualization -- and some of its benefits -- things like tighter security, streamlined management and lower costs. But...
- The Value of Symantec NetBackup Appliances In this video, Symantec's Shelley Schmokel, Principal Product Manager for NetBackup Appliances, talks about the NetBackup Integrated Appliances and how they deliver enterprise-class... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!