EBay launches Web query language
EBay's ql.io can simplify the process of querying a Web service for data, an eBay developer said
IDG News Service - In the hopes of reducing the complexity of making data calls over the Web, eBay has launched a programming language, called ql.io, which bundles separate API requests into a single call.
"ql.io can reduce the number of lines of code required to call multiple HTTP APIs while simultaneously bringing down network latency and bandwidth usage in certain use cases," wrote Subbu Allamaraju, an eBay developer who led the effort to build ql.io, in a blog posting announcing the new language.
With its release, ql.io has joined the growing rank of software developed by large Web service providers that have been released for others to use and refine, including Twitter's Storm data stream analysis tool, LiveJournal's memecached data caching software, Facebook's Scribe log aggregation tool, and Google's SPDY HTTP replacement.
For Web site and Web application developers, writing code to pull data from over the network can be a laborious process, Allamaraju stated in an earlier blog post, entitled "APIs are a Pain."
As an example, he showed how a client program that needs product data listed on a e-commerce site will have to make three separate API (application programming interface) calls: one for executing the product search, one to fetch the details of the product, and one to fetch the user reviews. Writing these multiple APIs is a tedious process for the developer, and the multiple calls they generate unnecessarily taxes bandwidth and processing power, Allamaraju said.
ql.io offers a way for developers to aggregate all these requests into a single request, and have the Web server parse the request and send back the results in a single bundle.
Allamaraju posted the source code for the language -- which is licensed under Apache License 2.0 -- on GitHub online code repository, and placed some examples of how the language could be used on the newly created ql.io site.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All App Development White Papers | Webcasts