EBay launches Web query language
EBay's ql.io can simplify the process of querying a Web service for data, an eBay developer said
IDG News Service - In the hopes of reducing the complexity of making data calls over the Web, eBay has launched a programming language, called ql.io, which bundles separate API requests into a single call.
"ql.io can reduce the number of lines of code required to call multiple HTTP APIs while simultaneously bringing down network latency and bandwidth usage in certain use cases," wrote Subbu Allamaraju, an eBay developer who led the effort to build ql.io, in a blog posting announcing the new language.
With its release, ql.io has joined the growing rank of software developed by large Web service providers that have been released for others to use and refine, including Twitter's Storm data stream analysis tool, LiveJournal's memecached data caching software, Facebook's Scribe log aggregation tool, and Google's SPDY HTTP replacement.
For Web site and Web application developers, writing code to pull data from over the network can be a laborious process, Allamaraju stated in an earlier blog post, entitled "APIs are a Pain."
As an example, he showed how a client program that needs product data listed on a e-commerce site will have to make three separate API (application programming interface) calls: one for executing the product search, one to fetch the details of the product, and one to fetch the user reviews. Writing these multiple APIs is a tedious process for the developer, and the multiple calls they generate unnecessarily taxes bandwidth and processing power, Allamaraju said.
ql.io offers a way for developers to aggregate all these requests into a single request, and have the Web server parse the request and send back the results in a single bundle.
Allamaraju posted the source code for the language -- which is licensed under Apache License 2.0 -- on GitHub online code repository, and placed some examples of how the language could be used on the newly created ql.io site.
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- Planning for Mobile Success Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Coding with JRebel: Java Forever Changed With JRebel, developers get to see their code changes immediately, fine-tune their code with incremental changes, debug, explore and deploy their code with...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts