Inside Carrier IQ-gate
What carriers and handset makers do with your personal info is none of your business
Computerworld - A scandal erupted this week around the discovery of secret software running on most smartphone handsets in the U.S. that tracks and logs personal activity on the phones.
The software is marketed to carriers and handset makers as a diagnostic tool that can be used to improve phone service. Critics say it's a hard-core violation of privacy. And the critics are right.
A security researcher named Trevor Eckhart posted a video Tuesday showing Carrier IQ software harvesting personal data without permission or even the option to turn it off.
According to the video, Carrier IQ gathers and logs every physical button pressed, phone number dialed, the full text of text messages, and even search data over https connections, which are supposed to be encrypted. The software can capture details about videos watched, apps used and the users' location.
It's unclear whether, when, or to whom this logged data is transmitted, or where it is stored and who has access to it.
Carrier IQ threatened to sue Eckhart, who turned for protection to the Electronic Frontier foundation.
Senator Al Franken wrote a letter to Carrier IQ president Larry Lenhart this week demanding that he specify exactly what's done with user data.
As Carrier IQ customers, carriers and handset makers are able to access data collected by the software. They can even specify "triggers" that when certain events occur, they can be specially logged, and the details of those logs sent to the carrier.
However, the larger risk is the existence of the harvested data. It's stored somewhere, and could be theoretically copied, accessed, hacked, stolen or leaked.
Carrier IQ has more or less admitted that the company could read the text messages of anyone using a phone that's running the software and read other data. But they claim the ability is largely theoretical.
Carrier IQ's VP of marketing, Andrew Coward, told AllThingsD this week that "We don't read SMS messages. We see them come in. We see the phone numbers attached to them. But we are not storing, analyzing or otherwise processing the contents of those messages."
Coward said, in a nutshell, that Carrier IQ is simply providing a service to the carriers, who are themselves only trying to improve service.
The cynical conspiracy to exploit your personal information
The guilty parties in all this are trying to frame the issue as a question over whether or not well-intentioned performance monitoring is an invasion of privacy.
- Lawmaker pushes consumer notification bill in wake of Carrier IQ concerns
- Goodbye 2011 ... What a year!
- Sprint disables Carrier IQ software on its handsets
- Iran tricked U.S. spy drone into landing in country, report says
- FBI never sought Carrier IQ data, director says
- Carrier IQ moves to allay fears of its tracking software
- FBI rejects FOIA request for Carrier IQ info
- Google's Schmidt calls Carrier IQ software a keylogger
- Carrier IQ downplays 2010 patent request
- 8 companies hit with lawsuit over Carrier IQ software
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- Data Protection and Disaster Recovery with iSCSI and VMware Get this on demand webcast now
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Privacy White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!