Australian court extends Apple ban on Samsung tablet sales
The two companies will be back in court on Dec. 9
IDG News Service - An Australian court has extended the sales ban on Samsung Electronics' Galaxy Tab 10.1 until Dec. 9, giving Applemore time to come up with reasons why the tablet should not be allowed to go on sale.
The news comes after the court decided to overturn the injunction that banned the sale of the Samsung tablet in Australia earlier this week.
"The High Court of Australia has granted a stay until Dec. 9 to allow it to consider whether to accept Apple's application for special leave to appeal," said a Samsung spokesman via email.
Samsung believes Apple has no basis for its appeals application, and will vigorously oppose this, it said.
Apple didn't return questions for a comment on the latest development in its legal battle with Samsung, but the company seems intent on keeping Samsung's tablets off store shelves across the world.
Besides Australia, Appleis also trying to stop Samsung from selling a modified version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that Samsung released in Germany in an effort to dodge an earlier injunction.
Apple has always maintained that Samsung has blatantly copied the iPad, including the shape of the hardware, the user interface, and even the packaging.
The holiday shopping season has started, and for Samsung it is important to remove the sales ban in Australia as soon as possible and keep the modified Galaxy Tab 10.1N on sale in Germany.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts