Australian court extends Apple ban on Samsung tablet sales
The two companies will be back in court on Dec. 9
IDG News Service - An Australian court has extended the sales ban on Samsung Electronics' Galaxy Tab 10.1 until Dec. 9, giving Applemore time to come up with reasons why the tablet should not be allowed to go on sale.
The news comes after the court decided to overturn the injunction that banned the sale of the Samsung tablet in Australia earlier this week.
"The High Court of Australia has granted a stay until Dec. 9 to allow it to consider whether to accept Apple's application for special leave to appeal," said a Samsung spokesman via email.
Samsung believes Apple has no basis for its appeals application, and will vigorously oppose this, it said.
Apple didn't return questions for a comment on the latest development in its legal battle with Samsung, but the company seems intent on keeping Samsung's tablets off store shelves across the world.
Besides Australia, Appleis also trying to stop Samsung from selling a modified version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that Samsung released in Germany in an effort to dodge an earlier injunction.
Apple has always maintained that Samsung has blatantly copied the iPad, including the shape of the hardware, the user interface, and even the packaging.
The holiday shopping season has started, and for Samsung it is important to remove the sales ban in Australia as soon as possible and keep the modified Galaxy Tab 10.1N on sale in Germany.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts