Australian court extends Apple ban on Samsung tablet sales
The two companies will be back in court on Dec. 9
IDG News Service - An Australian court has extended the sales ban on Samsung Electronics' Galaxy Tab 10.1 until Dec. 9, giving Applemore time to come up with reasons why the tablet should not be allowed to go on sale.
The news comes after the court decided to overturn the injunction that banned the sale of the Samsung tablet in Australia earlier this week.
"The High Court of Australia has granted a stay until Dec. 9 to allow it to consider whether to accept Apple's application for special leave to appeal," said a Samsung spokesman via email.
Samsung believes Apple has no basis for its appeals application, and will vigorously oppose this, it said.
Apple didn't return questions for a comment on the latest development in its legal battle with Samsung, but the company seems intent on keeping Samsung's tablets off store shelves across the world.
Besides Australia, Appleis also trying to stop Samsung from selling a modified version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that Samsung released in Germany in an effort to dodge an earlier injunction.
Apple has always maintained that Samsung has blatantly copied the iPad, including the shape of the hardware, the user interface, and even the packaging.
The holiday shopping season has started, and for Samsung it is important to remove the sales ban in Australia as soon as possible and keep the modified Galaxy Tab 10.1N on sale in Germany.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts