Lenovo unveils new tablets, smartphone and plans 'smart TV'
The three Android tablets will be sold under the 'Idea' brand outside of China
IDG News Service - Lenovo unveiled three new tablets and a smartphone for the Chinese market on Tuesday and said it will launch a smart TV product in the first quarter of next year.
No details on the smart TV were given, but Lenovo said it would be called "ideatv" for international markets. The smart TV is part of a series of products including tablets, smartphones and PCs that can easily share content between one another.
Lenovo officials announced the smart TV product as the company detailed its strategy for mobile devices. During Tuesday's company-sponsored event, Lenovo showed off the second generation of its line of LePad tablets, which are intended for Chinese consumers.
The LePad comes in three screen sizes: 5, 7 and 10 inches. Both the 7- and 10-inch devices run the Android 3.2 operating system and have a 1.5 GHz dual-core processor. The two tablets features a user interface designed to resemble a checkerboard, with each icon tile connecting to applications and services. Both support China Unicom's WCDMA and China Telecom's EVDO networks.
The 5-inch tablet can also make phone calls and supports Unicom's HSDPA data network. It uses Android 2.3 and runs with a dual core 1.2 GHz processor.
Lenovo also unveiled its second generation LePhone, which can take panoramic, 270-degree photos. Lenovo released no pricing details or launch dates for the products.
The "Le" series of devices will be sold under the "idea" brand name outside of China. The LePhone will become the "ideaphone." In Chinese, "Le" can mean "happy."
Lenovo, now the world's second-largest PC vendor behind HP, established a new business unit in January to focus on tablet and smartphone development. Lenovo CEO Yang Yuanqing said the company's smartphone sales in China have reached 1 million units a month.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts