RIM to offer multiplatform device management
The BlackBerry Mobile Fusion product will manage Android, iOS, BlackBerry and BBX devices
IDG News Service - Research In Motion is taking on mobile device management for Android and Apple iOS devices as well as its own products, introducing the BlackBerry Mobile Fusion product on Tuesday.
BlackBerry Mobile Fusion is designed to simplify the management of phones and tablets that run RIM's current BlackBerry OS and the emerging BBX platform, which is based on the QNX software that currently powers RIM's PlayBook tablet. But Mobile Fusion will also manage devices using the two biggest mobile OSes, Android and iOS.
The growing number of corporate and employee-owned mobile devices poses a challenge for enterprises that want to let employees choose their own devices, while making sure sensitive data remains secure and business applications uncorrupted. Numerous vendors have weighed in with tools to handle these tasks, including Sybase, Zenprise and FiberLink. But RIM, which largely introduced mobile devices to large enterprises and is still a major player in this market, has not managed other vendors' devices.
When companies allow employees to bring their own smartphones and tablets into corporate offices and to use them for work, they can no longer dictate a standard platform and build a device management strategy around it. Managing those diverse fleets of devices has fallen mostly to third parties rather than mobile platform purveyors themselves.
Because of its long enterprise experience and reputation for security, RIM may be better suited than its mobile OS rivals to dive into mobile management as a business. But the company also is strongly motivated to make its customers happy, as sales of its smartphones decline and shipping dates for some products slip. Version 2.0 of its PlayBook operating system, originally expected in October, now is set for delivery in the first quarter of next year. The company hasn't even given a firm date for availability of the first smartphones based on QNX.
Other big mobile OS vendors are making strenuous efforts to capture market share from RIM in enterprises. With its planned purchase of Motorola Mobility, Google will also acquire 3LM, which makes software to secure all the apps on an Android phone. The 3LM software is already built into the entire phone lineups of a dozen handset makers, Motorola said last month. Apple has steadily added enterprise-friendly features to iOS, and a survey released earlier this month showed iPhones overtaking BlackBerry devices among workers at 1,100 companies around the world.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Whitepaper: Workday User Experience Read the whitepaper to find out how the Workday user experience is singularly focused on extending access to every user while ensuring simplicity...
- Whitepaper: The Real SaaS Manifesto This whitepaper defines the key terms every company should know, understand, and evaluate when considering a SaaS vendor for their business.
- Whitepaper: Real CIOs of the Cloud As cloud computing becomes the dominant technology of this decade, today's CIOs are the catalysts for change. This whitepaper published by Techweb features...
- Why You Need a Next-Generation Firewall This white paper explores the reasons for implementing next-generation (NG) firewalls and lays out a path to success for overburdened IT organizations.
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control.
- Delivering Events of Olympic Proportions Akamai was selected to provide online video streaming delivery, site performance, and security services to NBC Olympics during its production of the 2014... All IT Leadership White Papers | Webcasts