AT&T to ship the LG Nitro on Dec. 4
Still no official word on Nexus launch date
Computerworld - AT&T will launch the LG Nitro HD smartphone over its LTE network on Dec. 4 in stores and online for $249.99 with a two-year contract.
The device will be AT&T's third LTE smartphone after the Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket and HTC's Vivid. AT&T's 4G LTE network is available in 15 cities, but the carrier is also upgrading its HSPA+ network for more widespread 4G service.
AT&T called the Nitro the "ultimate high-performance superphone," and the phone does indeed measure up to (and sometimes beat) the top smartphones on the market. One important feature is the 4.5-in. AH-IPS (Advanced High-Performance In-Plane Switching) touch-screen display with a 1280 x 720 pixel resolution that AT&T called "true HD."
Nitro's screen is slightly smaller than the coming Samsung Galaxy Nexus' 4.65-in. (1280 x 720) touch screen featuring a Super Amoled display and curved glass.
The Galaxy Nexus is reported by bloggers to go on pre-order Tuesday from Verizon Wireless over its LTE network for $199.99, with a release date of Dec. 8. However, a Verizon official at midday Monday refused to comment on the official shipping or order date for the Nexus.
However, Nitro will have a dual-core 1.5 GHz processor, which outperforms the Galaxy Nexus' dual-core 1.2 GHz processor.
The Nitro will also have an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera, contrasted with the Galaxy Nexus' 5-megapixel continuous autofocus camera. Both have a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera.
Nitro boasts 20GB of storage, with 4GB internally plus 16GB from a microSD that comes with it. The Galaxy Nexus pegs its storage at 32GB.
AT&T said the Nitro's display offers "unrivaled" color accuracy, brightness, battery efficiency and performance. Clear viewing is possible in direct sunlight, with accurate colors, AT&T added.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- BlackBerry pushes BBM Protected for end-to-end encrypted messaging
- Can Microsoft's Windows Phone OS surge in market share?
- HTC One M8 called a good looker and genuine rival to the Galaxy S5
- Smartphone innovation is slowing, so what's next?
- Studies show Sprint and T-Mobile need to expand U.S. coverage
- Gear Fit: Samsung strikes again with its 'build one of any device' plan
- Nokia Lumia Icon on sale Feb. 20 exclusively at Verizon
- Samsung hints at new UI for upcoming Galaxy S5
- How 'Lenovorola' changes the mobile world
- Google and Samsung grow cozier with patent deal, Motorola sale
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Smartphones White Papers |
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!