Big Cyber Monday expected to follow strong Black Friday
Amazon.com, Wal-Mart are big Black Friday winners among online retailers, says comScore
Computerworld - If Black Friday was any indication of a move to online shopping, e-tailers on Cyber Monday may be headed to a record breaking sales day.
Today is Cyber Monday, the first work day after Thanksgiving that often finds office workers spending much of the day shopping online instead of catching up on email and paying attention in meetings.
Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving long known for its shopping frenzy at brick-and-morter stores, was also a big day for online retailers this year.
"Despite some analysts' predictions that the flurry of brick-and-mortar retailers opening their doors early for Black Friday would pull dollars from online retail, we still saw a banner day for e-commerce with more than $800 million in spending," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni, in a statement. "With brick-and-mortar retail also reporting strong gains on Black Friday, it's clear that the heavy promotional activity had a positive impact on both channels."
ComScore, an online traffic tracker, noted that Black Friday brought in $816 million in U.S. online sales, making it the heaviest online spending day to date this year. Friday's online sales revenues represented a 26% spending increase compared to the same day last year.
During the overall 2011 holiday season to date, U.S. shoppers have spent $12.7 billion online, up 15% compared in 2010, comScore also reported.
"We now turn our attention to Cyber Monday, a day that Shop.org says will see eight-in-ten retailers running special online promotions," said Fulgoni. "Last year, Cyber Monday was the heaviest day of online spending ever, with sales exceeding $1 billion, and we fully expect to see another record set this year."
Which online retailers are doing well - really well - so far this year?
According to comScore, Amazon.com was the top online retailer on Black Friday. Wal-Mart, BestBuy, Target and Apple rounded out the top five respectively.
"Each of the top online retailers generated significantly greater Black Friday activity compared to last year," said Fulgoni.
"Amazon.com once again led the pack, with 50% more visitors than any other retailer, while also showing the highest growth rate versus last year. However, it is telling that the top multi-channel retailers also showed strong growth in visitors, demonstrating the importance of the online channel to the retail industry as a whole," he added.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Security The market for application security testing is changing rapidly. Technology trends, such as mobile applications, advanced Web applications and dynamic languages, are forcing...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts