Big Cyber Monday expected to follow strong Black Friday
Amazon.com, Wal-Mart are big Black Friday winners among online retailers, says comScore
Computerworld - If Black Friday was any indication of a move to online shopping, e-tailers on Cyber Monday may be headed to a record breaking sales day.
Today is Cyber Monday, the first work day after Thanksgiving that often finds office workers spending much of the day shopping online instead of catching up on email and paying attention in meetings.
Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving long known for its shopping frenzy at brick-and-morter stores, was also a big day for online retailers this year.
"Despite some analysts' predictions that the flurry of brick-and-mortar retailers opening their doors early for Black Friday would pull dollars from online retail, we still saw a banner day for e-commerce with more than $800 million in spending," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni, in a statement. "With brick-and-mortar retail also reporting strong gains on Black Friday, it's clear that the heavy promotional activity had a positive impact on both channels."
ComScore, an online traffic tracker, noted that Black Friday brought in $816 million in U.S. online sales, making it the heaviest online spending day to date this year. Friday's online sales revenues represented a 26% spending increase compared to the same day last year.
During the overall 2011 holiday season to date, U.S. shoppers have spent $12.7 billion online, up 15% compared in 2010, comScore also reported.
"We now turn our attention to Cyber Monday, a day that Shop.org says will see eight-in-ten retailers running special online promotions," said Fulgoni. "Last year, Cyber Monday was the heaviest day of online spending ever, with sales exceeding $1 billion, and we fully expect to see another record set this year."
Which online retailers are doing well - really well - so far this year?
According to comScore, Amazon.com was the top online retailer on Black Friday. Wal-Mart, BestBuy, Target and Apple rounded out the top five respectively.
"Each of the top online retailers generated significantly greater Black Friday activity compared to last year," said Fulgoni.
"Amazon.com once again led the pack, with 50% more visitors than any other retailer, while also showing the highest growth rate versus last year. However, it is telling that the top multi-channel retailers also showed strong growth in visitors, demonstrating the importance of the online channel to the retail industry as a whole," he added.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- EDI in China: Developing a Strategy for B2B Integration Success IBM solutions for EDI have helped companies across the globe securely connect and build partner communities.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Polycom Virtual Meeting Rooms Video The conference room is the hub for group collaboration. With Polycom, you can extend the productivity and efficiency benefits of face-to-face meetings beyond...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them. All E-business White Papers | Webcasts