AMD introduces branded memory modules for desktops
The modules will be available through major retail channels like Amazon.com, Fry's, and Best Buy
IDG News Service - Advanced Micro Devices' first branded desktop system memory modules, called AMD Memory, will be available in North America through major retailers, the company said Monday.
By offering its own branded memory modules for desktops, AMD aims to "take the guesswork out of DRAM selection, providing an easy and straightforward experience when looking for the ideal match for gaming or multimedia PC needs", it said in a statement.
AMD has been supplying and validating memory for AMD Radeon graphics cards for several years, and saw an opportunity to add system memory to its product line, AMD said.
The company did not immediately respond to requests for comment on whether it will offer branded memory modules for other kinds of computers besides desktops.
It said it is collaborating with memory module makers to create the AMD Memory branded products from components qualified to meet certain specifications. By testing and certifying the memory components, end-users can be assured of compatibility with AMD platforms, it added.
AMD has partnered with memory modules company Patriot Memory in Fremont, California, and PC enhancement products firm VisionTek Products in Illinois. VisionTek, which is already an authorized reseller for AMD products, will distribute the AMD modules through its distributor D&H.
AMD Memory branded products will be available soon through major retailers like Amazon.com, Fry's, Memory Express, and Best Buy in Canada, AMD said.
The company said it has used the AMD OverDrive performance optimization tool to test and optimize DRAM with the company's APUs (Accelerated Processing Units), CPUs (Central Processing Units), GPUs (Graphics Processing Units) and chipset platforms.
AMD Memory is available at three different sizes, 2GB (gigabyte), 4GB and 8GB, in a range of price points and speeds, AMD said. For the entertainment category, it will feature 1333 MHz and 1600 MHz speed RAM. A performance version supports speed up to 1600 MHz with low latency and comes in matched pairs, while Radeon Edition DRAM will run at 1866 MHz, AMD said.
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!