AMD introduces branded memory modules for desktops
The modules will be available through major retail channels like Amazon.com, Fry's, and Best Buy
IDG News Service - Advanced Micro Devices' first branded desktop system memory modules, called AMD Memory, will be available in North America through major retailers, the company said Monday.
By offering its own branded memory modules for desktops, AMD aims to "take the guesswork out of DRAM selection, providing an easy and straightforward experience when looking for the ideal match for gaming or multimedia PC needs", it said in a statement.
AMD has been supplying and validating memory for AMD Radeon graphics cards for several years, and saw an opportunity to add system memory to its product line, AMD said.
The company did not immediately respond to requests for comment on whether it will offer branded memory modules for other kinds of computers besides desktops.
It said it is collaborating with memory module makers to create the AMD Memory branded products from components qualified to meet certain specifications. By testing and certifying the memory components, end-users can be assured of compatibility with AMD platforms, it added.
AMD has partnered with memory modules company Patriot Memory in Fremont, California, and PC enhancement products firm VisionTek Products in Illinois. VisionTek, which is already an authorized reseller for AMD products, will distribute the AMD modules through its distributor D&H.
AMD Memory branded products will be available soon through major retailers like Amazon.com, Fry's, Memory Express, and Best Buy in Canada, AMD said.
The company said it has used the AMD OverDrive performance optimization tool to test and optimize DRAM with the company's APUs (Accelerated Processing Units), CPUs (Central Processing Units), GPUs (Graphics Processing Units) and chipset platforms.
AMD Memory is available at three different sizes, 2GB (gigabyte), 4GB and 8GB, in a range of price points and speeds, AMD said. For the entertainment category, it will feature 1333 MHz and 1600 MHz speed RAM. A performance version supports speed up to 1600 MHz with low latency and comes in matched pairs, while Radeon Edition DRAM will run at 1866 MHz, AMD said.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts