Google fixes Gmail bug, relaunches app for iPhone
iOS developer knocks Google for taking two weeks to patch
Computerworld - Google today relaunched its Gmail app for Apple's iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, two weeks after it yanked a buggy version.
"We've fixed the bug and notifications are now working, and the app is back in the App Store," said Google program manager Matthew Izatt in a post to the company's Gmail blog today.
Izatt cautioned users who had downloaded and installed the original Gmail app to either delete it or log out of the app before installing the new version.
Computerworld followed Izatt's instructions, then downloaded and installed Gmail 1.0.2: Unlike the original, the new version did not display an error message related to notifications.
Two weeks ago, Google was forced to pull its first take on Gmail for iOS after acknowledging it had "messed up" by issuing flawed software.
At the time, David Girouard, Google's vice president of apps and the company's top executive for its enterprise group, issued an apology on Twitter and Google+.
"Googla culpa!" Girouard said on Twitter Nov. 2. "Sorry, but we pushed a bad version of our iOS app for Gmail. More info shortly - we're working on it."
One noted app developer, who had earlier said that Google's mistake was "a pretty trivial thing to fix," took the company to the woodshed today for spending weeks on the flaw.
A few minutes later, Haddad added that there was "no excuse" for taking two weeks to quash the bug and get it re-approved by Apple.
As of 3 p.m. ET, the Gmail app could not be found by searching the App Store; to download it, steer to this URL, then click the button marked "View in iTunes."
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!