Sharp will stick with tablets, reveals new 7-in. model
The Osaka-based electronics company says it will continue to update its Galapagos tablet line despite shaky start
IDG News Service - Sharp said Wednesday it has no plans to abandon its Galapagos tablet line and announced a 7-in. model that can serve as a WiMax router.
The company launched three tablets in December of last year and said it hoped to compete with Apple's iPad and Amazon's Kindle in Japan. It then dropped two of the models just nine months later without replacements, leading local media and analysts to speculate it would soon leave the field entirely.
But Sharp's Masami Obatake, a general manager in one of its consumer product divisions, told reporters in Tokyo that the company will continue to bring out new products.
"We're not withdrawing from the Galapagos business, we're still continuing with development," he said.
Obatake spoke at the launch event for the company's new 7-in. tablet, which hooks into a domestic WiMax network and can tether up to seven devices. The Japanese version of the high-speed wireless technology is run by local operator UQ and has peak download speeds of 40 Mbps, with uploads at 10 Mbps.
The new Galapagos tablet, which will go on sale Dec. 17 in Japan, also has a dual-core Nvidia CPU, front and rear cameras, and 16 GB of RAM. It weighs about 400 grams (14 ounces) and comes with Android 3.2 installed.
When Sharp first announced its tablets last year, it plugged them as advanced e-readers, limited to the company's e-book software with some audio and video support. But it is calling the latest product a "media tablet" and including standard tablet applications such as the Android Market, YouTube and Gmail.
Galapagos is a term that has been used to describe Japan's mobile industry, which develops advanced devices that have little success outside the mainland. Sharp's tablet line is currently on sale only in Japan, and the company did not announce a retail price.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts