Amazon sets up Kindle lending library for Prime members
Members can borrow a book a month for free
IDG News Service - Amazon.com announced the launch of an e-book lending library for Kindle users who are Amazon Prime members, allowing them to borrow books for free, as frequently as a book a month -- and without due dates.
The new service, called Kindle Owners' Lending Library, comes ahead of the Nov. 15 shipment date for the Kindle Fire, Amazon's Android-based tablet priced at US$199.
Books can be borrowed and read on all Kindle E Ink devices and the Kindle Fire, Amazon said. Only U. S. Amazon Prime members who own Kindle devices are eligible, thus excluding users of apps on other devices like the iPad and smartphones.
Customers can have one book out at a time, Amazon said Wednesday. When customers want to borrow a new book, any borrowed book can be returned right from their device. Notes, highlights and bookmarks in borrowed books will be saved, so users will have them later if they purchase or borrow again the book, it added.
Titles in the Kindle Owners' Lending Library come from a range of publishers under a variety of terms, Amazon said. The company said there were "thousands of books to borrow", but did not give a list of all the publishers who have signed up for the scheme. The number of books available in the library also appear to be limited to about 5,000 books.
For the vast majority of titles, Amazon has reached agreement with publishers to include titles for a fixed fee. In some cases, Amazon is purchasing a title each time it is borrowed by a reader under standard wholesale terms as a no-risk trial to demonstrate to publishers the incremental growth and revenue opportunity that this new service presents, Amazon said.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!