Amazon sets up Kindle lending library for Prime members
Members can borrow a book a month for free
IDG News Service - Amazon.com announced the launch of an e-book lending library for Kindle users who are Amazon Prime members, allowing them to borrow books for free, as frequently as a book a month -- and without due dates.
The new service, called Kindle Owners' Lending Library, comes ahead of the Nov. 15 shipment date for the Kindle Fire, Amazon's Android-based tablet priced at US$199.
Books can be borrowed and read on all Kindle E Ink devices and the Kindle Fire, Amazon said. Only U. S. Amazon Prime members who own Kindle devices are eligible, thus excluding users of apps on other devices like the iPad and smartphones.
Customers can have one book out at a time, Amazon said Wednesday. When customers want to borrow a new book, any borrowed book can be returned right from their device. Notes, highlights and bookmarks in borrowed books will be saved, so users will have them later if they purchase or borrow again the book, it added.
Titles in the Kindle Owners' Lending Library come from a range of publishers under a variety of terms, Amazon said. The company said there were "thousands of books to borrow", but did not give a list of all the publishers who have signed up for the scheme. The number of books available in the library also appear to be limited to about 5,000 books.
For the vast majority of titles, Amazon has reached agreement with publishers to include titles for a fixed fee. In some cases, Amazon is purchasing a title each time it is borrowed by a reader under standard wholesale terms as a no-risk trial to demonstrate to publishers the incremental growth and revenue opportunity that this new service presents, Amazon said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts