Strategy Analytics: Samsung overtakes Apple in Q3 in smartphones
Apple was partly hit as consumers and operators awaited the Q4 launch of the iPhone 4S
IDG News Service - Samsung beat Apple to the top position in the smartphone market in the third quarter taking a 23.8 percent share of the global market to Apple's 14.6 percent, according to data released by research firm Strategy Analytics.
Nokia was third with a 14.4 percent share. The company however continues as the largest vendor of mobile handsets, but with a reduced share of about 27 percent in the third quarter, as its global handset shipments were down 3 percent year-on-year to about 107 million units, according to data released by both IDC and Strategy Analytics on Thursday. Samsung and L.G. Electronics took the second and third place respectively in the mobile handsets market, while China's ZTE overtook Apple to become the world's fourth largest handset vendor.
Apple became the world's largest smartphone vendor by volume with 18.5 percent market share in the second quarter, ahead of Samsung and Nokia, according to Strategy Analytics. Samsung also overtook Nokia in the second quarter to become the world's second largest smartphone vendor with a 17.5 percent share to Nokia's 15.2 percent.
Samsung shipped 27.8 million smartphones in the third quarter, up from 7.5 million units in the same quarter last year, while Apple shipped 17.1 million units as customers and operators waited for the fourth-quarter launch of the iPhone 4S amidst stiff competition from Samsung's Galaxy S2 model, and volatile economic conditions in several key countries, Strategy Analytics said.
Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Global smartphone shipments grew 44 percent annually to reach a record 117 million units in the third quarter, Strategy Analytics said.
Apple launched the iPhone 4S on Oct. 14, and said it had sold over four million units in just three days after the launch.
Samsung's rise has been driven by a blend of elegant hardware designs, popular Android services, memorable sub-brands and extensive global distribution, according to Strategy Analytics.
In the third quarter of last year, Samsung had a 9.3 percent share of the smartphone market to Apple's 17.4 percent. Nokia, which had a 32.7 percent share in the third quarter of last year, has been losing share because of competition from Apple and phones running the Android operating system, as it transitioned to the Windows Phone operating system.
Nokia's smartphone fortunes could improve in quarters to come after its introduction of the Nokia Lumia devices, powered by Windows Phone 7, to markets where its brand is still relatively strong and in areas where the company has lost share over the past two years, IDC said.
Apple and Samsung are caught up in patent litigation relating to their smartphones and tablets in a number of countries.
The worldwide mobile phone market grew 12.8 percent year-over-year to 394 million units in the third quarter of 2011, as smartphone growth declined in key mature markets, IDC said. Strategic Analytics estimated a growth of 14 percent to 390 million units, mainly on lower estimates of shipments by smaller vendors.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Mitigate Risk and Accelerate Time to Value Download this white paper to learn how your IT organization can accelerate business, introduce new services, and reach new markets, all while staying...
- Allay Risks in Application Rationalization and Modernization IT has to do it all: react quickly to market needs, introduce new services, capitalize on mobile, and comply with regulatory requirements, all...
- Delivering Application Data On-Demand Packaged app dev teams frequently operate with limited testing environments due to various constraints. By virtualizing the entire application stack, Delphix-powered teams can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Applications White Papers | Webcasts