Dropbox adds new file-sharing service for work groups
Work groups can share up to 1TB of online storage
Computerworld - Cloud storage and file-sharing service DropBox today announced a new service that allows work groups to share up to 1TB of online capacity, while also allowing IT shops to add or remove users.
Dropbox for Teams is priced at $795 annually for five users, with additional seats available for $125 each. The base plan includes 1TB (1,000 GB) of storage, and each additional seat comes with 200GB.
Like its free consumer cloud service, which offers 2GB of capacity to start, Dropbox for Teams stores files in an encrypted form on Amazon's S3 cloud storage service. The files also remain on users' Dropbox-synced computers for added backup.
Dropbox competes against many other free or low-cost cloud service providers, such as ADrive, Box.net, Flickr, Carbonite, Google Gmail, Mozy, SugarSync and YouSendIt. Many of those companies offer as much as 5GB of free online storage and then charge a fee for unlimited storage after that. Windows Live Skydrive offers 25GB of free storage, but bandwidth is severely limited.
Unlike its free consumer service, Dropbox for Teams comes with administrative controls that allow IT administrators to set up rules. The service also offers centralized billing and phone support.
When work groups make changes to files, they automatically synchronize across all devices that have Dropbox installed. The service is compatible with most computer and smartphone operating systems, including Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and BlackBerry.
"People in over a million businesses around the world trust Dropbox for its simplicity and reliability," said Sujay Jaswa, vice president of business development and sales at Dropbox. "Now, Dropbox for Teams will give businesses the control and freedom to rethink how they work."
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Simpana IntelliSnap Technology Datasheet With IntelliSnap you can maximize the value of your snapshot technology while dramatically reducing management overhead and complexity.
- Enhancing Application Protection and Recovery with a Modern Approach to Snapshot Management This CommVault Business Value and Technology White Paper explains how Simpana IntelliSnap® Recovery Manager can make your application recovery fast and reliable.
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts