Apple launches in-store pickup of online orders
Limited to San Francisco stores now, but will be rolled out 'soon' across the U.S.
Computerworld - Apple today kicked off in-store pickup of orders placed at its online store, letting customers retrieve their goods at a trio of stores in San Francisco.
According to 9to5Mac.com, Apple will soon extend pickup to stores across the U.S.
Apple's online store confirmed that report with a message that read, "Select a store in San Francisco. Coming soon to a U.S. store near you."
Three stores in San Francisco now offer pickup: Those on Stockton St., Chestnut St. and 20th Ave.
Products that show "Available now" at the conclusion of the order can be picked up within the hour, Apple said. Customers can also designate someone other than themselves to retrieve an order.
iTunes gift cards are not eligible for in-store pickup.
The new program extends Apple's limited store-online connections; Apple at times has let buyers reserve an item online -- most recently the iPhone 4S -- for pickup at a local retail store.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer and on Google+, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts