Apple launches in-store pickup of online orders
Limited to San Francisco stores now, but will be rolled out 'soon' across the U.S.
Computerworld - Apple today kicked off in-store pickup of orders placed at its online store, letting customers retrieve their goods at a trio of stores in San Francisco.
According to 9to5Mac.com, Apple will soon extend pickup to stores across the U.S.
Apple's online store confirmed that report with a message that read, "Select a store in San Francisco. Coming soon to a U.S. store near you."
Three stores in San Francisco now offer pickup: Those on Stockton St., Chestnut St. and 20th Ave.
Products that show "Available now" at the conclusion of the order can be picked up within the hour, Apple said. Customers can also designate someone other than themselves to retrieve an order.
iTunes gift cards are not eligible for in-store pickup.
The new program extends Apple's limited store-online connections; Apple at times has let buyers reserve an item online -- most recently the iPhone 4S -- for pickup at a local retail store.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer and on Google+, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Security The market for application security testing is changing rapidly. Technology trends, such as mobile applications, advanced Web applications and dynamic languages, are forcing...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts