Apple launches in-store pickup of online orders
Limited to San Francisco stores now, but will be rolled out 'soon' across the U.S.
Computerworld - Apple today kicked off in-store pickup of orders placed at its online store, letting customers retrieve their goods at a trio of stores in San Francisco.
According to 9to5Mac.com, Apple will soon extend pickup to stores across the U.S.
Apple's online store confirmed that report with a message that read, "Select a store in San Francisco. Coming soon to a U.S. store near you."
Three stores in San Francisco now offer pickup: Those on Stockton St., Chestnut St. and 20th Ave.
Products that show "Available now" at the conclusion of the order can be picked up within the hour, Apple said. Customers can also designate someone other than themselves to retrieve an order.
iTunes gift cards are not eligible for in-store pickup.
The new program extends Apple's limited store-online connections; Apple at times has let buyers reserve an item online -- most recently the iPhone 4S -- for pickup at a local retail store.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer and on Google+, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!