Apple launches in-store pickup of online orders
Limited to San Francisco stores now, but will be rolled out 'soon' across the U.S.
Computerworld - Apple today kicked off in-store pickup of orders placed at its online store, letting customers retrieve their goods at a trio of stores in San Francisco.
According to 9to5Mac.com, Apple will soon extend pickup to stores across the U.S.
Apple's online store confirmed that report with a message that read, "Select a store in San Francisco. Coming soon to a U.S. store near you."
Three stores in San Francisco now offer pickup: Those on Stockton St., Chestnut St. and 20th Ave.
Products that show "Available now" at the conclusion of the order can be picked up within the hour, Apple said. Customers can also designate someone other than themselves to retrieve an order.
iTunes gift cards are not eligible for in-store pickup.
The new program extends Apple's limited store-online connections; Apple at times has let buyers reserve an item online -- most recently the iPhone 4S -- for pickup at a local retail store.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer and on Google+, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!