Microsoft ships final Office 2007 service pack
App suite to retire from mainstream support in six months
Computerworld - Microsoft on Tuesday delivered its last service pack for Office 2007.
Service Pack 3 (SP3), which weighs in at 351MB, was posted to Microsoft's download center yesterday, and has begun appearing as an optional install through Windows Update.
Microsoft won't start automatically downloading and installing Office 2007 SP3 onto customers' PCs for 90 days.
SP3 is Office's 2007's first service pack since 2009's SP2, and with the upcoming end of mainstream support, almost certainly its last.
The service pack's debut was not a surprise: Earlier this month, Microsoft promised to ship the update this month.
Microsoft was under a self-imposed deadline to get SP3 out in October because it wanted to give enterprise customers six months to test and deploy before the suite is retired from mainstream support on April 10, 2012.
Once Office 2007 exits mainstream support, Microsoft will supply most customers security updates only during a five-year extended support phase that runs through April 11, 2017.
Users can continue to run Office 2007 SP2 -- that edition doesn't stop working -- but Microsoft will halt all security updates to SP2 a year from now.
Links to the download pages for the various permutations of Office 2007 SP3 can be found in this Microsoft blog post.
Office 2007 went on general sale in January 2007 alongside Windows Vista, but was supplanted by Office 2010 more than a year ago.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts