Microsoft ships final Office 2007 service pack
App suite to retire from mainstream support in six months
Computerworld - Microsoft on Tuesday delivered its last service pack for Office 2007.
Service Pack 3 (SP3), which weighs in at 351MB, was posted to Microsoft's download center yesterday, and has begun appearing as an optional install through Windows Update.
Microsoft won't start automatically downloading and installing Office 2007 SP3 onto customers' PCs for 90 days.
SP3 is Office's 2007's first service pack since 2009's SP2, and with the upcoming end of mainstream support, almost certainly its last.
The service pack's debut was not a surprise: Earlier this month, Microsoft promised to ship the update this month.
Microsoft was under a self-imposed deadline to get SP3 out in October because it wanted to give enterprise customers six months to test and deploy before the suite is retired from mainstream support on April 10, 2012.
Once Office 2007 exits mainstream support, Microsoft will supply most customers security updates only during a five-year extended support phase that runs through April 11, 2017.
Users can continue to run Office 2007 SP2 -- that edition doesn't stop working -- but Microsoft will halt all security updates to SP2 a year from now.
Links to the download pages for the various permutations of Office 2007 SP3 can be found in this Microsoft blog post.
Office 2007 went on general sale in January 2007 alongside Windows Vista, but was supplanted by Office 2010 more than a year ago.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts