IDG News Service - -- Name: Ann E. Ziegler
-- Time with company:3.5 years
-- Education: B.A. with honors, College of William & Mary; J.D., University of Chicago Law School
-- Company headquarters: Vernon Hills, Illinois
-- Revenue: CDW generated sales of $9.2 billion for the trailing 12 months ended June 30, 2011.
-- Number of countries: Two, U.S. and Canada
-- Number of employees total:More than 6,400
-- Number of employees the CFO oversees: 250
-- About the company: CDW provides technology products and services to the business, government and education sectors. The company website is http://www.cdw.com.
1.Where did you start in finance and what experiences led you to the job you have today?
I am actually a lawyer by training, so I began my career as a mergers-and-acquisition and corporate finance lawyer at Skadden, Arps.After several years and the birth of my oldest daughter, I took my legal skills in-house to Sara Lee Corporation.At Sara Lee, I was quickly given the opportunity to move into corporate development, running mergers and acquisitions from the business side. I moved up within corporate development, ultimately managing the group and reporting to the chairman and CEO of Sara Lee Corporation.At this point in my career, I determined I had been a deal junkie long enough, and asked to be moved to a CFO role. I accepted a lateral position as group CFO for Sara Lee Bakery Group and ultimately became the CFO of North America, before leaving to join CDW as CFO.
2. Who was an influential boss for you and what lessons did they teach you about management and leadership?
I am fortunate enough to have had several excellent and influential bosses over my career.As I moved into different roles, I learned that different management and leadership styles are effective for different people and that you need to find the ones that work for you. I have learned the importance of communication (particularly in the face of uncertainty), the importance of supporting and stretching young talent, the importance of listening, and the importance of diversity on a team's performance.Of course, hard work is just table stakes.
3.What are the biggest challenges facing CFOs today?
Economic uncertainty and volatility are the biggest challenges. Maintaining an organization's agility and flexibility is increasingly important.CFOs have a critical role in making this happen.
4.What is a good day at work like for you?
Being viewed as a good business partner is key to adding value as a finance function. A good day is one during which a co-worker on the operating side of the business compliments my team on a job well done.
5.How would you characterize your management style?
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Something-something “LASER” something-something-something.
The MtGox Bitcoin exchange is bankrupt. Not a huge surprise, but insiders are also alleging chronic incompetence within the company, flowing from the CEO, Mark Karpeles. Supposed hackers have also leaked some PHP code that appears to substantiate those allegations. But could it all be an elaborate ruse to steal customers'
MtGox Co., Ltd. is now aiming for "civil rehabilitation" in a Tokyo District Court (similar to Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the U.S.).
In IT Blogwatch, bloggers release the frickin’ ill-tempered, mutated sea bass.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Accelerating Speed to Market in the Highly Competitive Automotive Industry
- This White Paper discusses how an Enterprise Project Portfolio Management solution optimizes project analysis, management, reporting and risk mitigation processes to accelerate new...
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business
- View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Financial Security: What smaller Institutions can learn from DDoS attacks on big banks
- Since last fall, several waves of distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks have targeted major players in the U.S. banking industry. JPMorgan Chase,...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions... All Financial IT White Papers
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- All Financial IT Webcasts