IDG News Service - -- Name: Ann E. Ziegler
-- Time with company:3.5 years
-- Education: B.A. with honors, College of William & Mary; J.D., University of Chicago Law School
-- Company headquarters: Vernon Hills, Illinois
-- Revenue: CDW generated sales of $9.2 billion for the trailing 12 months ended June 30, 2011.
-- Number of countries: Two, U.S. and Canada
-- Number of employees total:More than 6,400
-- Number of employees the CFO oversees: 250
-- About the company: CDW provides technology products and services to the business, government and education sectors. The company website is http://www.cdw.com.
1.Where did you start in finance and what experiences led you to the job you have today?
I am actually a lawyer by training, so I began my career as a mergers-and-acquisition and corporate finance lawyer at Skadden, Arps.After several years and the birth of my oldest daughter, I took my legal skills in-house to Sara Lee Corporation.At Sara Lee, I was quickly given the opportunity to move into corporate development, running mergers and acquisitions from the business side. I moved up within corporate development, ultimately managing the group and reporting to the chairman and CEO of Sara Lee Corporation.At this point in my career, I determined I had been a deal junkie long enough, and asked to be moved to a CFO role. I accepted a lateral position as group CFO for Sara Lee Bakery Group and ultimately became the CFO of North America, before leaving to join CDW as CFO.
2. Who was an influential boss for you and what lessons did they teach you about management and leadership?
I am fortunate enough to have had several excellent and influential bosses over my career.As I moved into different roles, I learned that different management and leadership styles are effective for different people and that you need to find the ones that work for you. I have learned the importance of communication (particularly in the face of uncertainty), the importance of supporting and stretching young talent, the importance of listening, and the importance of diversity on a team's performance.Of course, hard work is just table stakes.
3.What are the biggest challenges facing CFOs today?
Economic uncertainty and volatility are the biggest challenges. Maintaining an organization's agility and flexibility is increasingly important.CFOs have a critical role in making this happen.
4.What is a good day at work like for you?
Being viewed as a good business partner is key to adding value as a finance function. A good day is one during which a co-worker on the operating side of the business compliments my team on a job well done.
5.How would you characterize your management style?
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month
- IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers
- Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services
- Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud
- This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and... All Financial IT White Papers
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- All Financial IT Webcasts