IDG News Service - -- Name: Ann E. Ziegler
-- Time with company:3.5 years
-- Education: B.A. with honors, College of William & Mary; J.D., University of Chicago Law School
-- Company headquarters: Vernon Hills, Illinois
-- Revenue: CDW generated sales of $9.2 billion for the trailing 12 months ended June 30, 2011.
-- Number of countries: Two, U.S. and Canada
-- Number of employees total:More than 6,400
-- Number of employees the CFO oversees: 250
-- About the company: CDW provides technology products and services to the business, government and education sectors. The company website is http://www.cdw.com.
1.Where did you start in finance and what experiences led you to the job you have today?
I am actually a lawyer by training, so I began my career as a mergers-and-acquisition and corporate finance lawyer at Skadden, Arps.After several years and the birth of my oldest daughter, I took my legal skills in-house to Sara Lee Corporation.At Sara Lee, I was quickly given the opportunity to move into corporate development, running mergers and acquisitions from the business side. I moved up within corporate development, ultimately managing the group and reporting to the chairman and CEO of Sara Lee Corporation.At this point in my career, I determined I had been a deal junkie long enough, and asked to be moved to a CFO role. I accepted a lateral position as group CFO for Sara Lee Bakery Group and ultimately became the CFO of North America, before leaving to join CDW as CFO.
2. Who was an influential boss for you and what lessons did they teach you about management and leadership?
I am fortunate enough to have had several excellent and influential bosses over my career.As I moved into different roles, I learned that different management and leadership styles are effective for different people and that you need to find the ones that work for you. I have learned the importance of communication (particularly in the face of uncertainty), the importance of supporting and stretching young talent, the importance of listening, and the importance of diversity on a team's performance.Of course, hard work is just table stakes.
3.What are the biggest challenges facing CFOs today?
Economic uncertainty and volatility are the biggest challenges. Maintaining an organization's agility and flexibility is increasingly important.CFOs have a critical role in making this happen.
4.What is a good day at work like for you?
Being viewed as a good business partner is key to adding value as a finance function. A good day is one during which a co-worker on the operating side of the business compliments my team on a job well done.
5.How would you characterize your management style?
This local bank has an old-fashioned two-story lobby and its own mainframe upstairs -- and a disaster waiting to happen.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month
- IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense
- The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach
- In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms
- Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across... All Financial IT White Papers
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- All Financial IT Webcasts