Network World - Tech lovers have been flocking to the iPad 2 and other tablets in order to watch movies, read books, surf the Web and make video calls on the latest, greatest, thinnest, lightest, coolest devices. But where do tablets fit within the enterprise?
We tested 10 tablets to see which had the strongest set of business-related features. Our test subjects ranged from the high-end $1,699 GammaTech Durabook (a tablet/notebook hybrid) to the $279 Archus 70 and everything in between, including tablets from Fujitsu, RIM, Acer, ViewSonic, Toshiba, Motorola and, of course, Apple. We even tested a $79 no-name tablet from China.
We focused on business-related features, such as business-oriented programs and apps, security components, developer programs poised towards the enterprise, and accessories targeting business use. We also looked at battery life and Java-based browser performance.
Tablet throwdown: Amazon Kindle Fire vs. Apple iPad 2
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Netbooks White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!