USAjobs.gov struggles after feds take it back from Monster.com
User complaints mount as site's availability takes a hit. Former operator Monster offers free job ad postings to government agencies
Computerworld - The federal government's central website for posting thousands of federal job openings, USAjobs.gov, has seen performance problems and complaints about searches since the government took it back this month from Monster.com, which had been running the site for years under a contract.
The U.S. employs some 2.6 million people, which makes USAjobs.gov a popular place to look for work.
U.S. Office of Personnel Management officials have acknowledged site availability issues and other problems, and have pledged to "work around the clock to assure USAjobs 3.0 provides the best customer service," the agency said Thursday. It has added new server capacity to the federal jobs site, dubbed version 3.0 and launched Oct. 11.
The operation of USAjobs.gov may well be one of the more visible tests of a federal IT department's ability to take over work previously farmed out to a contractor with a promise of doing it as well or better and at less cost.
Customer complaints have been piling up on OPM's official Facebook page for USAjobs.gov, even as the agency reports that thousands have successfully filed job applications since the transition from Monster.
Wrote one user on Facebook: "website is now the most un-userfriendly website I have used in long-term memory." Another user asked: "Why is it when I search I can get several jobs, then a few hours later no jobs, then a few hours later the several jobs are back?"
Frustration is a common theme. "I am more than fed up with the new site!! It has automatically signed me out 3 times, once while I was editing my resume. The site is slow..," one user wrote.
Another user said: "OK there is definitely something wrong with your search engine. I am looking for jobs in Germany and I always get jobs for DE which is Delaware NOT Germany and I do select the Europe option and the Germany option but your search engine thinks that Germany is DE, which is Delaware ..."
OPM Director John Berry, in a posting Wednesday, said the site has been getting more than expected traffic. The government is now "adding additional server capacity to support this extremely high volume," he said.
"While the number of people trying to use the system fluctuates from hour to hour, we're consistently serving at least 94% of them," said Berry. The others receive a message asking them to try again later.
OPM, in an email response late Thursday to a Computerworld query, said it is now serving users "100% of the time."
Despite the complaints of some users of the jobs site, OPM said the site is allowing people to file applications for jobs.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers
- Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services
- Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud
- This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America
- Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market All Government IT White Papers
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- All Government IT Webcasts