China Mobile third quarter profit rises 3.7%
China Mobile now has 633 million customers
IDG News Service - China Mobile, the country's largest mobile operator, saw net profit in its third quarter increase by about 3.7% from the same period year ago, according to data published by the company Thursday.
In the quarter ending Sept. 30, profit reached 30.69 billion yuan ($4.8 billion), up from 29.6 billion yuan a year ago. Revenue in the quarter totalled 133.7 billion yuan, up 8.9% from the 122.8 billion yuan of a year earlier.
The third-quarter results were calculated from data released by China Mobile showing the financial results for the past nine months. China Mobile's customer base is now at 633.5 million, an increase of 16.7 million from the second quarter. It now has 43.1 million customers on its 3G (third generation) network.
China Mobile is seeking to raise its revenues by getting more uses to switch to its faster 3G network and buy more data services. The selling of smartphones has been key to this as China Mobile aims to offer a larger variety of handsets to attract users to its network.
The carrier has also been in ongoing talks with Apple about selling its iPhone in the country. Currently, rival China Unicom is the sole official carrier in the country.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts