China Mobile third quarter profit rises 3.7%
China Mobile now has 633 million customers
IDG News Service - China Mobile, the country's largest mobile operator, saw net profit in its third quarter increase by about 3.7% from the same period year ago, according to data published by the company Thursday.
In the quarter ending Sept. 30, profit reached 30.69 billion yuan ($4.8 billion), up from 29.6 billion yuan a year ago. Revenue in the quarter totalled 133.7 billion yuan, up 8.9% from the 122.8 billion yuan of a year earlier.
The third-quarter results were calculated from data released by China Mobile showing the financial results for the past nine months. China Mobile's customer base is now at 633.5 million, an increase of 16.7 million from the second quarter. It now has 43.1 million customers on its 3G (third generation) network.
China Mobile is seeking to raise its revenues by getting more uses to switch to its faster 3G network and buy more data services. The selling of smartphones has been key to this as China Mobile aims to offer a larger variety of handsets to attract users to its network.
The carrier has also been in ongoing talks with Apple about selling its iPhone in the country. Currently, rival China Unicom is the sole official carrier in the country.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts