Debuting tonight: Galaxy Nexus running Ice Cream Sandwich
Samsung, Google to hold Hong Kong event to unveil next big Android smartphone
NTT DoCoMo recently tweeted that it will have the Galaxy Nexus for its customers in Japan sometime in November, according to BGR.com.
Sources have also said that Verizon Wireless will be the smartphone's exclusive U.S. carrier and will put the device on sale sometime this month, although Verizon would not comment when asked today. The phone is expected to run on the fast Verizon LTE network.
Many specs of the coming Galaxy Nexus smartphone have been leaked based on information from informed sources, and BGR recently described it as having a 4.65-in. touch screen, making it among the largest, with a 1280 x 720-pixel Super Amoled HD display. (The iPhone 4S has a 3.5-in. Retina display touch screen, with 960 x 640-pixel resolution, which Apple notes is at 326 pixels per inch.)
Other details include a 1.2 GHz dual-core Cortex A9 processor, 1GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, support for near-field communications and a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera.
The presentation will be held at 10 p.m. ET tonight, or 10 a.m. Hong Kong time on Wednesday. Google has also set up a live stream.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Software Asset Management: Pay Attention or Pay Up There is a wide range of options for managing software assets, from in-house solutions to the cloud to managed services providers. Read this...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!