Debuting tonight: Galaxy Nexus running Ice Cream Sandwich
Samsung, Google to hold Hong Kong event to unveil next big Android smartphone
NTT DoCoMo recently tweeted that it will have the Galaxy Nexus for its customers in Japan sometime in November, according to BGR.com.
Sources have also said that Verizon Wireless will be the smartphone's exclusive U.S. carrier and will put the device on sale sometime this month, although Verizon would not comment when asked today. The phone is expected to run on the fast Verizon LTE network.
Many specs of the coming Galaxy Nexus smartphone have been leaked based on information from informed sources, and BGR recently described it as having a 4.65-in. touch screen, making it among the largest, with a 1280 x 720-pixel Super Amoled HD display. (The iPhone 4S has a 3.5-in. Retina display touch screen, with 960 x 640-pixel resolution, which Apple notes is at 326 pixels per inch.)
Other details include a 1.2 GHz dual-core Cortex A9 processor, 1GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, support for near-field communications and a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera.
The presentation will be held at 10 p.m. ET tonight, or 10 a.m. Hong Kong time on Wednesday. Google has also set up a live stream.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts