HTC loses initial patent ruling against Apple
The ITC said Apple did not violate four HTC patents relating to mobile devices
IDG News Service - The U.S. International Trade Commission said on Monday that Apple did not violate four patents held by HTC, which said it intends to appeal.
HTC had filed the complaint with the ITC in May of last year, alleging that Apple had violated patents relating to power-management methods and phone-number directories used in HTC mobile devices.
The company further requested that the ITC ban the import of certain Apple products to the U.S. that infringe on the patents. The complaint prompted the ITC to launch an investigation in June 2010, resulting in Monday's initial determination.
HTC said it had yet to receive the full opinion and analysis of the ITC's findings. But in a statement, HTC General Counsel Grace Lei said, "This is only one step of many in these legal proceedings. We are confident we have a strong case for the ITC appeals process and are fully prepared to protect our intellectual property."
Apple did not respond to a request for comment.
Both Apple and HTC have been locked in patent disputes with one another, with both asking the ITC to ban the sale of the other's products.
Monday's decision dealt another setback to HTC following a ruling in a separate ITC case.
Last year, Apple filed a complaint against HTC, alleging the company had infringed on its held patents. In July, the ITC gave an initial determination that ruled in favor of Apple. If the judgement is made final, HTC could be banned from importing phones to the U.S.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!