RIM offers free apps, support following outages
RIM said it is also taking 'aggressive' steps to prevent another major service outage
IDG News Service - Following last week's major service disruptions, Research in Motion is offering free applications and support as compensation, the company said Monday.
RIM said it will give away applications worth $100 to consumers and offer enterprise customers one month of free support to help make up for the problems.
"As an expression of appreciation for their patience," RIM said users will be able to download premium applications such as Sims 3, Bejeweled and Vlingo Plus: Virtual Assistant beginning Oct. 19 from BlackBerry App World. The applications will be available for download until Dec. 31.
The total value of the applications will be more than $100, but availability of the applications depends on what phone and operating system version a user has, RIM added.
Enterprise users will receive free support instead of applications. Current customers will get a one-month extension of their existing technical support contract. Those who don't have a technical support contract will receive a one month trial of RIM's BlackBerry Technical Support Services, according to RIM.
The offerings come after BlackBerry users last week experienced service interruptions and delays over a period of approximately three days in Europe, the Middle East, India and Africa; a day and a half in Latin America and Canada; and one day in the U.S. On Thursday, services finally resumed.
"We have apologized to our customers, and we will work tirelessly to restore their confidence. We are taking immediate and aggressive steps to help prevent something like this from happening again," co-CEO Mike Lazaridis said in the statement, but didn't elaborate on what the company actually plans to do.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more