RIM offers free apps, support following outages
RIM said it is also taking 'aggressive' steps to prevent another major service outage
IDG News Service - Following last week's major service disruptions, Research in Motion is offering free applications and support as compensation, the company said Monday.
RIM said it will give away applications worth $100 to consumers and offer enterprise customers one month of free support to help make up for the problems.
"As an expression of appreciation for their patience," RIM said users will be able to download premium applications such as Sims 3, Bejeweled and Vlingo Plus: Virtual Assistant beginning Oct. 19 from BlackBerry App World. The applications will be available for download until Dec. 31.
The total value of the applications will be more than $100, but availability of the applications depends on what phone and operating system version a user has, RIM added.
Enterprise users will receive free support instead of applications. Current customers will get a one-month extension of their existing technical support contract. Those who don't have a technical support contract will receive a one month trial of RIM's BlackBerry Technical Support Services, according to RIM.
The offerings come after BlackBerry users last week experienced service interruptions and delays over a period of approximately three days in Europe, the Middle East, India and Africa; a day and a half in Latin America and Canada; and one day in the U.S. On Thursday, services finally resumed.
"We have apologized to our customers, and we will work tirelessly to restore their confidence. We are taking immediate and aggressive steps to help prevent something like this from happening again," co-CEO Mike Lazaridis said in the statement, but didn't elaborate on what the company actually plans to do.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!