SAP cuts provision for TomorrowNow litigation, boosting Q3 profit
Excluding exceptional items, revenue rose 12% and operating profit 23%, SAP said
IDG News Service - SAP said its third quarter revenue rose 14% year on year, and operating profit more than doubled according to International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), boosted by a recalculation of the sum set aside to settle litigation with Oracle over its SAP's former TomorrowNow subsidiary.
Excluding that change and a handful of other exceptional items, non-IFRS third-quarter revenue rose 12% to 3.41 billion ($4.69 billion as of Sept. 30, the last day of the period reported) and operating profit jumped 23% to 1.127 billion, the company said Friday, announcing the preliminary, unaudited results. The company will publish full third-quarter results on Oct. 26, it said.
Currency fluctuations hit third-quarter profit: At constant currency rates, year-on-year non-IFRS operating profit growth would have been 26%, SAP said.
The company saw the fastest growth in software revenue, at around 28%, with revenue from software and software-related services growing 14%.
With only one quarter to go, SAP still says the outlook for the full year is unclear given current economic uncertainties. The company has not changed its previous guidance, repeating that it expects software and software-related service revenue to increase by between 10% and 14%. It did not offer guidance on software revenue growth, but said companies continue to invest in IT in general, and innovative software solutions in particular.
SAP reduced its provisions for settlement of the TomorrowNow litigation by 723 million, allowing it to report that sum as operating profit. The jury had originally called for SAP to pay Oracle of $1.3 billion, but the judge lowered that to $272 million, giving Oracle the option of seeking a new trial. As Oracle is seeking the right to make an early appeal, the company has not yet announced whether it will accept the reduced sum.
Other exclusions from the IFRS results included a 1 million write-down for deferred support revenue from acquisitions, acquisition-related charges of 110 million, share-based compensation expenses of 17 million and restructuring expenses of 1 million.
Peter Sayer covers open source software, European intellectual property legislation and general technology breaking news for IDG News Service. Send comments and news tips to Peter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts