Android 'Ice Cream Sandwich' arrives Oct. 19 in Hong Kong
Invite makes OS release clear; rumors of Galaxy Nexus smartphone persist
Computerworld - The big Google-Samsung event to launch Ice Cream Sandwich -- postponed at CTIA earlier this week -- will take place next Wednesday in Hong Kong, according to an invitation sent by the two companies.
It will be held Oct. 19 in Hong Kong at 10 a.m. local time, which translates to 10 p.m. ET on Tuesday in the U.S.
While Android 4.0 was always rumored to be the subject of the event, it now seems certain, since the invitation shows off an Ice Cream Sandwich in the shape of the familiar Android creature.
Also, recent reports pegged Verizon Wireless as the exclusive carrier for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which would run on 4G LTE and Android 4.0. (The Galaxy nexus is also known as the Nexus Prime.)
That device is expected to include a Texas Instruments OMAP 4460 dual-core 1.2GHz processor, putting it at the top of recent smartphones in speed. It's also expected to sport 1GB of memory and 32GB of internal storage, far ahead of most recent smartphones, and two cameras. One of the cameras is expected to be a 5-megapixel version, though that is below the 8-megapixel rear-facing camera in the iPhone 4S.
The iPhone 4S goes on sale Friday.
The somewhat impressionistic tickler advertisement for the Galaxy Nexus shows a curved device with a curved face.
A livestream of the Galaxy-Samsung event will be posted online.
Next week's event was delayed as a tribute to the death of Steve Jobs, Google officially said.
A Google official who asked not to be identified later said the delay was solely because of Jobs' death, not due to technical or patent concerns as some had suggested.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Google's Android OS
- Review: 5 video editing apps for Android
- Malware-infected Android apps spike in the Google Play store
- Nokia plans forked Android smartphone for Barcelona unveiling
- LG G Flex deep-dive review: The curious case of the curved phone
- Xperia Z1S deep-dive review: A stylish phone with power and panache
- Low-end smartphone battle forces Nokia to Android
- Moto G real-world review: The best budget phone money can buy
- Google escalates offensive against Office with Android 'KitKat'
- Galaxy Note 3 deep-dive review: A plus-sized phone with perks and quirks
- LG G2 deep-dive review: Extraordinary hardware in an ordinary phone
Read more about iOS in Computerworld's iOS Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All iOS White Papers | Webcasts