IBM refines cloud offerings
IBM's SmartCloud Application Services provides full SmartCloud-based PaaS capability, the company said
IDG News Service - IBM has expanded its SmartCloud services, giving customers more tools to migrate their existing processes and data onto IBM's PaaS (platform-as-a-service) offerings, or to set up their own private clouds.
A new cloud package, called IBM SmartCloud Application Services, will offer customers a platform for running enterprise applications. IBM provides the security, management and a Java-based development infrastructure. This service, which can host cross-platform applications, will be available as a beta by the end of the year.
With this PaaS, organizations can cut the work hours needed for routine management tasks, IBM said. Database management, by IBM's estimates, can be reduced from six hours per week to one hour per week. Setting up a developer environment can be shortened from weeks to hours using the service, IBM said.
IBM will also offer a version of the service, called IBM SmartCloud Enterprise+, for IBM partners to rebrand as their own offering. The company has partnered with service provider Nirvanix to provide the storage for users of this version.
A second offering, the IBM SmartCloud Foundation, will offer pre-integrated packages of hardware and software for running internal clouds. The starter kits are based on virtualized IBM System x and Power Systems hardware. Software will be provided that can deploy a system of 400 nodes or more within a matter of hours. It will also include a set of monitoring tools.
The company has also introduced a consulting service, IBM SmartCloud Ecosystem, in which IBM and partners will help small and medium-sized organizations move their assets to the cloud.
When IBM surveyed 500 company executives, it found that only 33 percent had run a cloud pilot program for their organization, although more than double plan to do so within the next year. IBM expects to have 200 million cloud customers by the end of 2012.
- Trends in Pop-up Retail: Innovative Merchandising Driven by Flexible, Dependable Mobile Connectivity This paper outlines the challenges and obstacles to successful implementation, and discusses existing, rapid-deployment solutions for connecting pop-up locations with mission-critical retail applications...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- IBM Global SaaS Study Video This video introduces the IBM Global SaaS study conducted by the Center for Applied Insights. The study reveals how companies are using Software...
- Brunswick Moves Messaging and Collaboration to the IBM cloud Gerry Orten, Jr, Electronic Messaging Manager at Brunswick talks about why Brunswick moved to the IBM cloud. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts