IBM refines cloud offerings
IBM's SmartCloud Application Services provides full SmartCloud-based PaaS capability, the company said
IDG News Service - IBM has expanded its SmartCloud services, giving customers more tools to migrate their existing processes and data onto IBM's PaaS (platform-as-a-service) offerings, or to set up their own private clouds.
A new cloud package, called IBM SmartCloud Application Services, will offer customers a platform for running enterprise applications. IBM provides the security, management and a Java-based development infrastructure. This service, which can host cross-platform applications, will be available as a beta by the end of the year.
With this PaaS, organizations can cut the work hours needed for routine management tasks, IBM said. Database management, by IBM's estimates, can be reduced from six hours per week to one hour per week. Setting up a developer environment can be shortened from weeks to hours using the service, IBM said.
IBM will also offer a version of the service, called IBM SmartCloud Enterprise+, for IBM partners to rebrand as their own offering. The company has partnered with service provider Nirvanix to provide the storage for users of this version.
A second offering, the IBM SmartCloud Foundation, will offer pre-integrated packages of hardware and software for running internal clouds. The starter kits are based on virtualized IBM System x and Power Systems hardware. Software will be provided that can deploy a system of 400 nodes or more within a matter of hours. It will also include a set of monitoring tools.
The company has also introduced a consulting service, IBM SmartCloud Ecosystem, in which IBM and partners will help small and medium-sized organizations move their assets to the cloud.
When IBM surveyed 500 company executives, it found that only 33 percent had run a cloud pilot program for their organization, although more than double plan to do so within the next year. IBM expects to have 200 million cloud customers by the end of 2012.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts