Floods forces shutdown of Western Digital's Thailand plants
The extent of the impact in cannot yet be fully determined
IDG News Service - The production of hard disks at Western Digital (WD) facilities close to Bangkok, Thailand, has been halted following severe flooding, the company said on Wednesday.
This is monsoon season in Thailand, but the rains this year have been the hardest to hit the country for decades, according to a spokesman at the Thai embassy in Stockholm.
Production was temporarily suspended to protect employees, facilities and equipment, WD said. The extent of the impact on operations in Thailand can't yet be fully determined due to continued flooding, it said.
The flooding is causing problems with the region's infrastructure, including transportation and utilities, and has also resulted in the flooding of supplier facilities, WD said. Some of the company's 37,000 employees have had their homes flooded, but all are deemed safe at this time, the company wrote in a statement.
In the three months to July 1, WD shipped about 60% of the 54 million hard disks it produced from facilities in Thailand. The other 40% came from sites in Malaysia.
The company will provide further updates as the situation develops, including at a conference call with investors on Oct. 19, it said.
The production delays come at a time when demand for storage is growing, boosted by the growth of cloud services.
Despite the downbeat economic situation, the worldwide disk storage market continued to grow at a record pace during the second quarter, according to market research company Gartner. Revenue for the period totaled $5.1 billion, an 11.6% increase compared to the same period last year. The market for disk storage used by external cloud deployments is on pace to grow to $417.3 million in 2011, a 56% increase from 2010.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Networked Storage White Papers | Webcasts