IBM takes its BI capabilities into the data center
Gives predictive analytics to IT with the help of agents
Computerworld - IBM is taking its business analytics capabilities down a new path by making them available to IT organizations to monitor and predict issues with systems and processes.
The new tools come out of IBM's WebSphere and Tivoli lines and are designed to work in a heterogeneous environment and across a range of IT services, including storage, networks and services in the cloud.
The first tool is the WebSphere Operational Decision Management, which monitors business processes against business rules, automating governance, said Scott Hebner, vice president of market strategy at IBM.
As an example of how the tool could work, Hebner said that if inquiries about a certain product are rising, the system could alert IT to the need to devote more resources to the issue. "This is for the IT employees to be able to ensure that a process is running efficiently against whatever rules are defined," said Hebner.
Judith Hurwitz, an analyst at the Hurwitz Group, said that IT systems today are really "a combination of lots of different services," such as software or infrastructure as a service, as well as internal data centers.
Hurwitz said "it is very important to be able to analyze the quality of service," to make sure "you have a consistent level of service across that entire environment."
Another tool from IBM is Tivoli Analytics for Service Performance, which provides a consolidated view across an IT environment. Among the things it does is bring predictive analytics to IT infrastructure, a capability that is now widely used by businesses to compete in the market.
It uses historical trends to help identify when, for instance, there is a risk of service degradation because of the increased use of a particular system.
Hebner said the system uses agents that are deployed throughout the environment to gather data.
IBM has also updated the capabilities in its messaging brokering, IBM WebSphere Message Broker, so that these tools can share information.
Patrick Thibodeau covers cloud computing and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Business Intelligence/Analytics in Computerworld's Business Intelligence/Analytics Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts