FairSearch.org urges AGs to tackle Google over antitrust
FairSearch.org, a coalition of Google critics that includes Microsoft, wants attorneys general to probe Google business practices
IDG News Service - FairSearch.org, a coalition of companies critical of Google's business practices, is urging all 50 U.S. state attorneys general to investigate the search giant over possible antitrust violations.
The coalition, which includes Google archrival Microsoft, as well as Travelocity, Kayak, Expedia and TripAdvisor, has sent a letter, along with a 44-page white paper, outlining several ways in which it alleges Google is illegally abusing its dominant position in search.
Google's alleged antitrust violations harm competitors, consumers, innovation, economic growth and job creation, so it's important for the attorneys general to probe Google's business practices, according to FairSearch.org.
Google is already the subject of antitrust probes from the U.S. Federal Trade Commission, the European Union and the Korean Fair Trade Commission. There have been reports that several attorneys general are also conducting antitrust investigations into Google's business.
"Evidence is mounting that Google's business practices deserve further investigation from law enforcement and antitrust officials and that the time to act to protect competition, innovation and consumers is now," wrote FairSearch.org adviser and former Rhode Island Attorney General Patrick Lynch in the letter.
"State Attorneys General have a critical role to play in investigating Google's conduct to prevent further harm to competition and consumers, and many of you are already deeply involved," the letter reads.
Specifically, Lynch alleges that Google engages in "deceptive" search results displays that trick users into clicking on links to Google sites by placing those links at the top or in the middle of the results page and making them seem like organic search results.
He also accuses Google of manipulating its search ranking algorithm so that sites from competitors are either excluded or receive poor placement.
Google also engages in "stealing" of content, like user reviews, from third-party websites, and displays that material on Google pages without permission, according to Lynch.
FairSearch.org also maintains that Google treats advertisers unfairly by manipulating their quality scores to inflate ad prices, knowing that the use of its advertising platform is a "must buy" because of the company's dominance in search usage and advertising.
Finally, Google is squelching competition in the nascent mobile search market by acquiring companies that it considers a threat and including "exclusivity restrictions" in Android licensing agreements "to maintain and expand its dominance," the letter reads.
Google declined to comment.
FairSearch.org was formed in October of last year to oppose Google's $700 million acquisition of air-travel flight-information software maker ITA Software.
After a months-long review, the U.S. Department of Justice approved the ITA Software acquisition with a number of conditions, including a requirement that Google must develop and license travel software to competitors, as well as provide arbitration for complaints about fees from online travel sites.
- 6TB Oracle Ecommerce Stack Deployed on AWS in 7 Days A Fortune 1000 company was told that it would take more than 6 months to deploy their ecommerce stack on AWS. CloudVelocity deployed...
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts