iPhone 4S first-day orders top 1M
Record sales of new phone far exceed 600K first-day sales of iPhone 4
Computerworld - First-day orders for the iPhone 4S hit 1 million on Friday, easily breaking the single-day record of 600,000 first-day sales for the iPhone 4 set last year, Apple announced today.
"We are blown away with the incredible customer response to the iPhone 4S," said Philip Schiller, Apple senior vice president of worldwide marketing. "The first-day pre-orders for iPhone 4S have been the most for any new product that Apple has ever launched and we are thrilled that customerslove iPhone 4S as much as we do."
Apple, AT&T and Verizon Wireless have already exhausted iPhone 4S pre-order supplies for delivery this coming Friday. AT&T said it sold 200,000 of the devices in the first 12 hours of taking orders Friday.
Despite the exhausted supply for orders, Apple said it will have the iPhone 4S available at all 245 Apple stores at 8 a.m. Friday, but it didn't divulge any details on how many would be available. Apple said the customers who buy one on Friday will be "up and running with their new iPhone before they leave the store" with customized email and more.
The device sells for $199 for the 16GB model, $299 for the 32GB version and $399 for the new 64 GB model. Sprint is selling iPhones for the first time as well, including the iPhone 4S and the older, iPhone 4, which goes for $99.99.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Apple grows Mac sales by 18% on the back of the MacBook Air
- What to listen for during Apple's earnings call today
- Timeline: How Apple's iOS gained enterprise cred
- Apple and IBM: A winning combo for IT
- IBM and Apple ties go way back
- Apple quickly counters China claim of iPhone spying
- China calls the iPhone and iOS 7 threats to national security
- Apple's CarPlay to dominate infotainment systems, will be in 24M cars by 2019
- Dev interest in OS X Yosemite is 4X what it was for Mavericks in '13
- Apple yanks Google Maps from iCloud's 'Find My iPhone'
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!