Sprint to offer unlimited data for iPhone 4S and iPhone 4
Sprint begins sales of iPhone 4 with iOS 5 upgrade today
Computerworld - Sprint confirmed that it will offer unlimited data plans for the iPhone 4S starting Oct. 14, but it will also sell the iPhone 4 for $99.99 with the iOS 5 upgrade starting today.
The fact that Sprint is selling the iPhone 4, with the latest update of iOS software and also at the lower price of $99.99 announced earlier by Apple, came as a shock to many.
Many assumed that Sprint would only sell the new iPhone 4S when Verizon Wireless and AT&T also put that device on sale Oct. 14.
"This is the first official announcement of which iPhone devices we will sell," a Sprint spokeswoman said today.
The iPhone 4S, announced Tuesday, will cost roughly the same at Sprint with a 99-cent premium compared to what Apple announced, starting at $199.99 for the 16GB model, then $299.99 for the 32GB version and $399.99 for the 64GB version. Verizon Wireless today also announced pricing with the added 99-cent premium.
The iPhone 4 for existing users on AT&T and Verizon networks is supposed to be getting the iOS 5 update by Oct. 12, according to Apple officials on Tuesday, but Sprint's iPhone 4 for $99.99 will be available today with iOS 5, Sprint confirmed.
Both phones require activation on Sprint's Simply Everything plans with Any Mobile, Anytime for unlimited data, texting and calling to and from any mobile phone in the U.S. while on the Sprint network.
Those plans start at $69.99 per month plus a $10 Premium Data add-on charge. To get "truly unlimited calling data and text" on Sprint's Simply Everything plan will cost a customer $99.99 per month plus the $10 Premium Data add-on charge, all while on Sprint's network, Sprint explained. The higher priced plan gives unlimited minutes of calling at anytime, while the $69.99 offers 450 minutes of calling at anytime.
Verizon Wireless separately announced it will begin online pre-orders for the IPhone 4S at 3:01 a.m. ET on Oct. 7, with availability on Oct. 14.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Microsoft's new lower-priced Office 365 is 'obvious preface' for iPad suite
- Apple's CarPlay vs. MirrorLink: Is there a need for both?
- Apple's CarPlay to spark mobile apps war in your car
- iTunes is almost as big a biz as OEM Windows
- Icahn says 'I can't' and stops $50B fight over Apple stock buyback
- Lenovo-Moto deal's impact on Apple? Zip
- Office 365 turns one, but success is tough to tally
- Everyone bets on bigger iPhone for '14
- Apple's iPod business collapses as revenue becomes a rounding error
- Update: More than 1B smartphones were shipped in 2013
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Architecting the Network of the Future Networks need to change, as does the way IT thinks about and manages them. In addition to reliability, IT must now add higher...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Macintosh White Papers |