AMD's first eight-core desktop processors detailed
AMD's FX-8150 and FX-8120 are based on the new Bulldozer architecture
IDG News Service - Details about Advanced Micro Devices' first eight-core desktop processors, based on its Bulldozer architecture, have appeared on some retail sites ahead of their official launch.
The FX-8150 and FX-8120 processors are part of the re-launched FX family of chips, which are pitched as high-performance parts aimed at gaming machines and other high-end systems. The FX chips are based on AMD's new Bulldozer architecture, which provides a speed boost of 50% or more compared to its predecessor, according to AMD.
Last month, AMD said an eight-core Bulldozer microprocessor broke the world record for clock speed by running at 8.429GHz. The system was cooled by tanks of liquid helium.
AMD plans to launch the FX chips this quarter but can't yet give a specific date, said AMD spokesman Phil Hughes, who declined to comment further about the chips.
Hardware maker ECS has also listed the chips on the webpage for an A990FXM-A graphics board, which it calls the "first AMD 8 core-ready motherboard in the world." It has listed the chips as having 16MB of cache.
The chips will compete with Intel's high-end Core i7-990X Extreme Edition processor, based on the Westmere architecture, which is much more expensive at $999. However, Intel will soon release an Extreme Edition chip based on its newer Sandy Bridge microarchitecture, said an Intel representative at the company's trade show in September.
Intel also offers the Core i7-2600 six-core processor, which is based on the Sandy Bridge microarchitecture and priced at $294. The chip has been demonstrated running gaming systems.
Other chips based on AMD's Bulldozer design, such as the 16-core "Interlagos" Opteron processors, will be used in servers. Those Interlagos systems are expected this quarter.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Processors White Papers | Webcasts