Benioff comes out swinging at Oracle
After his OpenWorld keynote is cancelled, the Salesforce.com CEO vents
IDG News Service - The Salesforce.com chief continued his spat with Oracle CEO Larry Ellison Wednesday morning -- and you might not see Marc Benioff at an Oracle conference again.
Benioff came out swinging after Oracle cancelled his OpenWorld keynote and relegated him to what will probably be a quieter spot at the show on Thursday morning.
"Oracle is saying we can go on at 8 a.m. tomorrow when the show is over. Thanks, Oracle, for that opportunity,"Benioff said, speaking at a nearby restaurantwhere his team had quickly arranged an alternative location for him to speak.
"They also offered us an 8 a.m. slot on Sunday on Alcatraz," Benioff quipped. "Thanks for that too, Oracle."
He introduced his mother in the audience, who he said was there because "she's upset with me that I pissed off Larry so much that he cancelled my keynote. So I apologize to my mother as well."
He then laid into the OpenWorld event itself, and the big, engineered software-and-hardware systems such as the Exadata Database Machine that Oracle has been pitching there all week.
"This show has been mostly about a next-generation mainframe, and the disappointment is that when I was at Oracle, when we used to put on OpenWorld, OpenWorld was about ideas and the industry and what would happen next and what we could get motivated about."
"It's just my personal philosophy that this is not the next great thing in our industry," Benioff said. The next big thing for Benioff, of course, is running a business in the cloud with no hardware.
"That's the fundamental premise" of why his speech was cancelled, he said.
The spat flared up between the two CEOs on Tuesday, when Benioff tweeted that Ellison had "cancelled" his keynote at the last minute. Oracle has said it didn't cancel the speech but had to move some events around because the show is so busy.
Benioff and Ellison have had a love-hate relationship for years. Ellison was an early investor in Salesforce.com, but Benioff has taken jabs at his former employer on numerous occasions, including at a speech in Boston a few months ago.
On Sunday he republished several Twitter posts from other people who were critical of Ellison's opening keynote at the show; that's been seen as the motivation for moving his speech.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts