Samsung hopes to block sale of iPhone 4S in Italy and France
The company will cite 3G related patents in latest legal round with Apple
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics is greeting the new iPhone with more legal action. The company plans to file preliminary injunction motions in Milan and in Paris asking the courts to block sales of the iPhone 4S, Samsung said Wednesday.
The iPhone 4S was only announced Tuesday, and Samsung's lawsuits could derail plans for it to go on sale on Oct. 14 in France and on Oct. 28 in Italy.
Samsung accused Apple of flagrantly violating its intellectual property rights and taking a free ride on its technology in a statement released Wednesday.
The filings with courts in France and Italy will each cite two patent infringements related to wireless telecommunications technology, specifically Wideband Code Division Multiple Access (WCDMA) standards for 3G mobile handsets, according Samsung.
The iPhone 4S has a faster processor and a better camera than its predecessor. It also offers faster 3G network access over HSDPA (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access) at a theoretical 14.4M bps (bits per second): The iPhone 4 tops out at 7.2M bps.
Samsung plans to file preliminary injunctions in other countries after further review, it said.
This is just the latest development in the ever growing battle between the two companies. Apple and Samsung are currently embroiled in a worldwide legal fight covering cases in Asia, Europe and North America. Last week, the two met in a court in the Netherlands, where they argued over the merits of four Samsung patents.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts