Apple.com crashes as iPhone 4S is unveiled
Users take to Twitter to vent their frustrations about the downed site
Computerworld - Shortly before Apple unveiled the iPhone 4S, the company's website went down.
People quickly took to Twitter to vent their frustrations about being unable to reach the site this afternoon. Apple normally shuts down its online store before a new hardware announcement, and that happened early this afternoon. However, after the iPhone 4S announcement was made, Apple.com/iPhone went down, along with the overall Apple.com site. At 3:45 p.m. EDT, some users reported that the site was back up, although many users were still receiving "Access Denied" messages from Apple.com and Apple.com/iPhone.
Early this afternoon, Apple unveiled the iPhone 4S, a 3G smartphone designed to run applications faster than its predecessor, the iPhone 4. Excitement has been building over the past week for the iPhone announcement, with people clamoring online for the latest information about the new device.
However, many users were frustrated by not being able to get onto the official Apple website. Around 3:30 p.m. today, the phrase "access denied" was trending on Twitter, along with "iphone4s" and "4GS."
At midday, Internet monitoring service provider Keynote said it had been monitoring serious issues with Apple's website and said the site had gone down completely and continued to experience severe and intermittent performance issues.
The site appeared to be back up around 4 p.m.
On Twitter, a user called drakemac wrote, "apple.com goes boom! Site is down," while montymetzger tweeted, "Apple.com is down, 'access denied' error message. Meanwhile, 'access denied' is trending on Twitter, and someone at Apple is getting fired." A tweeter named lexfri noted how bad the timing was for Apple to crash today: "Oof, how embarrassing for Apple: The Apple Store webpage is down, on today of all days."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!