HP completes Autonomy acquisition
UK software vendor Autonomy is now under the control of HP
IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard has secured enough shares of Autonomy to take control of the U.K. software company, HP announced Monday.
Shareholders owning 87 percent of Autonomy's stock have accepted HP's offer to purchase the company for 25.50 per share, or about US$10.3 billion, HP said in a regulatory filing.
"As such, all conditions relating to the offer have now been satisfied, allowing HP to acquire control of Autonomy," HP said.
HP announced plans to buy Autonomy last month, on the same day it said it would scrap its TouchPad development and consider spinning off its PC business.
The deal, engineered by former CEO Leo Apotheker, was a controversial one, with some saying HP offered too high a price. HP has since appointed a new CEO, former eBay chief Meg Whitman, who has stood behind the deal.
Autonomy is the U.K.'s largest independent software vendor. It makes a broad range of information management products, including software that searches through company documents for compliance and archiving purposes.
It also operates a public cloud that stores petabytes of corporate data. Earlier this year, IDC said Autonomy was one of the fastest-growing search and discovery vendors.
HP said the deal will strengthen its data analytics, cloud and workflow management offerings, and help its customers manage ever-increasing volumes of data. Autonomy will operate as a separate business unit, let by founder and CEO Mike Lynch, who will report to Whitman.
While HP now has control of the company, it said it would leave its offer open "until further notice" so that further stockholders can offer their shares.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts