HP completes Autonomy acquisition
UK software vendor Autonomy is now under the control of HP
IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard has secured enough shares of Autonomy to take control of the U.K. software company, HP announced Monday.
Shareholders owning 87 percent of Autonomy's stock have accepted HP's offer to purchase the company for 25.50 per share, or about US$10.3 billion, HP said in a regulatory filing.
"As such, all conditions relating to the offer have now been satisfied, allowing HP to acquire control of Autonomy," HP said.
HP announced plans to buy Autonomy last month, on the same day it said it would scrap its TouchPad development and consider spinning off its PC business.
The deal, engineered by former CEO Leo Apotheker, was a controversial one, with some saying HP offered too high a price. HP has since appointed a new CEO, former eBay chief Meg Whitman, who has stood behind the deal.
Autonomy is the U.K.'s largest independent software vendor. It makes a broad range of information management products, including software that searches through company documents for compliance and archiving purposes.
It also operates a public cloud that stores petabytes of corporate data. Earlier this year, IDC said Autonomy was one of the fastest-growing search and discovery vendors.
HP said the deal will strengthen its data analytics, cloud and workflow management offerings, and help its customers manage ever-increasing volumes of data. Autonomy will operate as a separate business unit, let by founder and CEO Mike Lynch, who will report to Whitman.
While HP now has control of the company, it said it would leave its offer open "until further notice" so that further stockholders can offer their shares.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- CIOs strive to harness Big Data while keeping an eye on the bottom line Read this whitepaper to learn how Red Hat Storage Server allows CIOs to confidently support business growth, manage cost and risk, capitalize on...
- Enterprise architects challenged to manage data explosion Read this whitepaper to find out how Red Hat Storage Server can allow enterprises to quickly and confidently deliver business applications that minimize...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Live Webcast Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!