HP completes Autonomy acquisition
UK software vendor Autonomy is now under the control of HP
IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard has secured enough shares of Autonomy to take control of the U.K. software company, HP announced Monday.
Shareholders owning 87 percent of Autonomy's stock have accepted HP's offer to purchase the company for 25.50 per share, or about US$10.3 billion, HP said in a regulatory filing.
"As such, all conditions relating to the offer have now been satisfied, allowing HP to acquire control of Autonomy," HP said.
HP announced plans to buy Autonomy last month, on the same day it said it would scrap its TouchPad development and consider spinning off its PC business.
The deal, engineered by former CEO Leo Apotheker, was a controversial one, with some saying HP offered too high a price. HP has since appointed a new CEO, former eBay chief Meg Whitman, who has stood behind the deal.
Autonomy is the U.K.'s largest independent software vendor. It makes a broad range of information management products, including software that searches through company documents for compliance and archiving purposes.
It also operates a public cloud that stores petabytes of corporate data. Earlier this year, IDC said Autonomy was one of the fastest-growing search and discovery vendors.
HP said the deal will strengthen its data analytics, cloud and workflow management offerings, and help its customers manage ever-increasing volumes of data. Autonomy will operate as a separate business unit, let by founder and CEO Mike Lynch, who will report to Whitman.
While HP now has control of the company, it said it would leave its offer open "until further notice" so that further stockholders can offer their shares.
- Automating Cost Transparency By making all of the costs of running IT transparent, IT can change the way business units consume IT resources, drive down total...
- Forrester: The Business Technology Value Scorecard The "Business Technology Value Scorecard" paper proposes four categories of KPIs as the basis for a common language of metrics between IT leaders...
- Cisco Case Study Before Cisco could effectively manage the business of IT, the company needed to improve the way it accounted for the cost and performance...
- IT Financial Metrics Primer This Executive Brief details financial and non-financial metrics that IT financial managers must use to foster conversations with business stakeholders.
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the...
- Fundamentals of the Unified Communications BE 6000 The Cisco Business Edition 6000 delivers the superior performance, system redundancy, and broad application integration you need. Well suited for businesses with 100... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!