Cisco to launch free iPad/iPhone video app
Video upgrades meant to help businesses capture and share video
Computerworld - Cisco announced improvements to its video product line Thursday to make it easier for businesses to capture and share video, including a free app coming soon for iPad and iPhone.
The free app will make Cisco's existing Show and Share software available for iPad and iPhone in late October through the Apple App Store, Cisco officials said via a Webcast this week.
Show and Share is Cisco's video-sharing software, which allows users to search and watch videos as well as record and upload their own videos. That software has been available on other hardware, but until now not for the iPad and iPhone.
Also, Cisco said it is integrating its existing Show and Share with its Media Experience Engines 3500 and itsTelePresence Content Server, although it didn't yet name the products that will provide the integration. Also, a new software release of the 3500 allows it to support Flash, H.264 and Windows Media formats.
An existing software tool called Pulse Video Analytics will soon allow searches of video content by keyword or speaker in the Cisco Show and Share product.
Finally, Cisco announced a Media Deliver Engine 50 Integrated Services Router Virtual Blade. The new module works in Cisco routers at the edge of networks to optimize the way video is cached and streamed to branch offices in an attempt to lower costs. Timing for release of the module was not announced.
Guido Jouret, chief technology officer for Cisco's Emerging Technologies Group, told analysts and reporters on the Webcast that Cisco's goal is to allow video "to reach anyone, on any device at any time."
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!