10% of UK elementary schoolkids own an iPhone; 5% own an iPad
Network World - Would Harry Potter have needed to take spells classes if he'd had access to the magic of the iPhone?
While we'll likely never know the answer to that question, we do know that 10% of British schoolchildren under the age of 10 are now iPhone users, according to a new survey released by cloud service vendor Westcoastcloud. The company commissioned a survey of 2,000 British parents of children ages 10 and under to determine how big a role emerging technologies play in their lives. In addition to finding that 10% of British children own an iPhone, the survey also found that 5% of British children own an iPad.
IN PICTURES: Top 10 bedside apps for iPhone, iPad
Of the parents who bought their children smartphones, 68% said they did so to keep better track of their children. Most British parents reported paying around 10 British pounds per month on their children's phone bills, although 20% of parents said their children's monthly phone expenses top 20 pounds or more.
As for what British children are using their smartphones for, the survey found that 20% of child smartphone users text message, 10% can use the device to go online and 5% draft and send email on their smartphones. Most children primarily use their smartphone to make phone calls, however, which fits in with parents' desire to keep better tabs on their children.
The biggest potential trouble spot, said the survey, was that half of the parents question "said they have no parental controls installed on their Internet connected devices to block access to certain websites ... despite 5% of parents saying their child uses their phone or laptop when they are out." Westcoastcloud Director Bill Strain said that parents who let their children adopt connected technologies need to be more careful in filtering what their children can access.
"If parents are happy for their children to be using these products they need to understand that the Internet is not a private place," he said. "Filtering products are available that can help parents keep their kids safe online."
Read more about anti-malware in Network World's Anti-malware section.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts