Apple held talks with Chinese environmental groups
Chinese environmental groups previously criticized Apple for pollution caused by suppliers
IDG News Service - Apple held talks with Chinese environmental groups earlier this month after the U.S. tech giant was criticized for using manufacturers accused of polluting the environment in China.
The Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs (IPE), a group based in Beijing, said it held the talks with Apple following a request made by the company. IPE called the initiation of talks a positive sign, given that it was the first time Apple had responded to the environmental groups' concerns about the company's suppliers.
In the past, IPE and other groups have released reports accusing Apple of failing to monitor the work conditions and manufacturing processes used by its various suppliers in China. The latest report, released in August, went as far to link the pollution emitted from two suppliers with a rise in cancer rates in residents living nearby.
IPE said it held talks twice with Apple, the second time with the company's supply chain management. While Apple did not specifically address all of the concerns the environmental groups made, the company said it would continue to communicate and collaborate with them, according to Wang Jing Jing, vice director for IPE.
"In the future, we will listen to what they have to say and we will see how they will move forward," Wang said. "Our goal is that they will really work to improve the supply chain management."
Apple did not respond to a request for comment. The company has previously reiterated its commitment to driving its suppliers to meet environmental standards. Apple has said it regularly conducts audits of its suppliers and works with them to correct violations.
- Seattle Children's Accelerates Citrix Login Times by 500% with Cross-Tier Insight Seattle Children's is a leading research hospital with a large and growing Citrix XenDesktop deployment. With ExtraHop, the IT team at Seattle Children's...
- Data Protection eGuide In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
Best Practices in Enterprise Data Governance
This paper explores the challenges organizations have today in implementing a data
governance program via an actual business case. It highlights SAS technology that
- 10 Mistakes to Avoid When Launching Your DG Program From failing to define data governance, to premature launch, or expecting too much from a sponsor, this white paper explains ten common mistakes...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!