ZTE launches first smartphone in the U.S. through Cricket
The ZTE Score will be available on Sunday through operator Cricket
IDG News Service - Mobile carrier Cricket announced Thursday it will start selling the ZTE Score, the first smartphone from Chinese telecommunications equipment supplier ZTE to launch in the U.S.
The smartphone uses Android 2.3 and comes with a 600 MHz processor. It also features a 3.5-in. touch screen, with a 3.2 megapixel camera and Wi-Fi access.
Cricket, a U.S. mobile operator that offers monthly plans without contracts, said the phone will be available on Sept. 25 in Best Buy locations across the country. The phone is being sold for a suggested retail price of US$130.
ZTE, which also manufactures mobile handsets and tablets, has been looking to increase its presence in the U.S. market, and announced earlier this year it would launch its first smartphone in the country. The company previously launched a lower-end handset called the Salute in a tie-up with Verizon Wireless, the largest mobile operator in the U.S.
In comparison, Cricket is a small operator with 5.7 million customers. ZTE Score comes with the Cricket's Muve Music service, which allows for unlimited music downloads from different major record labels.
ZTE is launching the new phone as the company has seen sales of its handsets increase globally. It is currently the fifth largest mobile phone vendor in the world, placing it right behind Apple, according to research firm IDC. In the second quarter, ZTE's mobile phone shipments increased year-over-year by 36 percent.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts