Mango update coming to four AT&T phones starting Sept. 27, report says
AT&T also to release three new Mango phones this fall
Computerworld - AT&T is planning to update four Windows Phone 7 smartphones to the Mango release starting as early as Tuesday, according to internal AT&T emails received by a Web site.
Three phones are getting Mango, which Microsoft also calls Windows Phone 7.5, the HTC Surround, LG Quantum and Samsung Focus, according to email documents received by WPCentral.com.
The documents also say that the fourth phone, the HTC HD7S, will get the update in early to mid-October. To get the update, customers will need to download new Zune player software and plug in their phones for power.
For the Samsung Focus, there are two update periods: Sept. 27 for the 1.3 hardware revision and Oct. 31 for revision 1.4.
An AT&T spokesman would not comment on the email documents and said AT&T has not officially announced specific dates for the updates. "We ... will provide more information on our Facebook page as the time draws near," the spokesman said via email.
The spokesman also said customers that own the phones affected will receive notices of updates when they are ready, with the updates occurring "on a rolling schedule with different phones being updated at different times."
AT&T said on Sept. 12 that it would update its four current Windows Phone 7 phones to Mango, without giving dates. The carrier also said it will launch three new Windows Phone 7.5 phones this fall -- the HTC Titan, Samsung Focus S and Samsung Focus Flash. All the new phones will run on AT&T's fast HSPA+ 4G network.
Some bloggers are speculating that AT&T will release the new Mango phones about the same time as it update the existing Windows Phone 7 devices.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Securing Mobility, From Device to Network At one time, the process of managing and securing mobile devices and applications was fairly straightforward. Most organizations worried about one application (email)...
- Planning for Mobile Success Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!