Google Wallet full download to last into Friday
Google seems 'to have gotten a little ahead of themselves,' Consumer Reports notes
Computerworld - Even though Google said its Google Wallet app was available Monday, it won't be installed over-the-air to all Nexus S 4G customers until Friday night.
A Google spokeswoman confirmed by email to Computerworld that the downloads won't occur until the end of the day on Friday, after earlier saying they should finish by the end of the day today.
Consumer Reports noted the delay in a blog saying it had hoped to test the app on Wednesday, but that it had not yet downloaded to the device the publication is using.
A Nexus S device being used by Computerworld also had not received the download as of 2 p.m. (ET) today.
Noting that Google had launched Google Wallet nationally on Monday, saying it was "now available on Nexus S 4G on Sprint," Consumer Reports added: "In its rush to be the first digital wallet on the market, Google Wallet's promotional promises seem to have gotten a little ahead of themselves."
In the past, Google's Android version update downloads to various smartphone models have been notorious for delays, generating criticism from Android smartphone users. It isn't clear where the problem with the Google Wallet app download is, with Sprint or with Google.
Downloads do often take several days, even if on schedule, as carriers roll out the software to multiple users slowly to prevent network bottlenecks that might occur by blasting out the download to all users at once. Google and Sprint haven't said how many downloads have already occurred.
Clarification: The headline to this story has been changed since it was originally posted to clarify that Google Wallet software downloads will continue through Friday. The original headline said the full downloads were delayed until Friday. However, Google's website since Monday has said the downloads are "now available on Nexus S" even though the downloads are continuing through the week.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- How apps are changing fast food
- Starbucks hits $1B in mobile payment revenues in 2013, analysis says
- Are we giving up on mobile payments already?
- Get a free smoothie for an NFC tap
- Facebook to test new mobile payment service
- Isis mobile wallet to roll out nationwide this year
- Google Wallet chief's resignation another bad sign for NFC
- RIM gets Visa approval for mobile payments via NFC
- Mobile payments adoption in U.S. could take years
- iPhone 5's lack of NFC doesn't matter, survey shows
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Performance Management: The Mobile App Development Playbook This comprehensive 16 page Forrester Research, Inc. report, authored by Jeffrey Hammond, Forrester VP and Principal Analyst, details a number of valuable, commonly...
- New Problems Require Innovative Solutions The mobile market is expected to be worth $25 billion by 2015
- Getting Agnostic about Mobile Devices The idea of being able to interact with customers, prospects, and stay attuned to competitive pressures is not new, but the velocity at...
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts