HP board reportedly eyes Whitman for CEO job
Leo Apotheker may be on his way out
IDG News Service - HP's board of directors is reportedly looking to replace CEO Leo Apotheker, with former eBay CEO and current HP director Meg Whitman said to be a finalist for the job.
The planned change in leadership of the troubled company was reported by [All Things D] and others, citing anonymous sources. The appointment of Whitman "is by no means a done deal", according to All Things D.
Wall Street reacted favorably to the rumor: HP's stock price rose 7.6% at the New York Stock Exchange. Apotheker has been leading HP since September 2010.
If Apotheker is indeed ousted, it would be the second time in a row he lost a CEO position after a brief and rocky tenure.
He was [removed as head of software giant SAP] in February 2010 less than a year after being named sole CEO. The company returned to its previous co-CEO format, replacing Apotheker with insiders Jim Hagemann Snabe and Bill McDermott.
Apotheker faced a variety of pressures as SAP CEO, such as dropping software license revenues due to the global recession, as well as fallout from an unpopular decision to raise support fees.
Company morale also reportedly fell under his watch. Co-founder Hasso Plattner alluded to this at the time of Apotheker's removal, saying he would "do everything possible to make SAP a happy company."
Apotheker's tenure at HP has been marked by the failure of its Touchpad tablet, which the company is pulling from the market, and the decision to seek a buyer for its low-margin PC business unit.
Chris Kanaracus contributed to this story.
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.