HP board reportedly eyes Whitman for CEO job
Leo Apotheker may be on his way out
IDG News Service - HP's board of directors is reportedly looking to replace CEO Leo Apotheker, with former eBay CEO and current HP director Meg Whitman said to be a finalist for the job.
The planned change in leadership of the troubled company was reported by [All Things D] and others, citing anonymous sources. The appointment of Whitman "is by no means a done deal", according to All Things D.
Wall Street reacted favorably to the rumor: HP's stock price rose 7.6% at the New York Stock Exchange. Apotheker has been leading HP since September 2010.
If Apotheker is indeed ousted, it would be the second time in a row he lost a CEO position after a brief and rocky tenure.
He was [removed as head of software giant SAP] in February 2010 less than a year after being named sole CEO. The company returned to its previous co-CEO format, replacing Apotheker with insiders Jim Hagemann Snabe and Bill McDermott.
Apotheker faced a variety of pressures as SAP CEO, such as dropping software license revenues due to the global recession, as well as fallout from an unpopular decision to raise support fees.
Company morale also reportedly fell under his watch. Co-founder Hasso Plattner alluded to this at the time of Apotheker's removal, saying he would "do everything possible to make SAP a happy company."
Apotheker's tenure at HP has been marked by the failure of its Touchpad tablet, which the company is pulling from the market, and the decision to seek a buyer for its low-margin PC business unit.
Chris Kanaracus contributed to this story.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- SDCRAA Case Study: Adapting ERP to business needs This case study goes in depth about San Diego County Regional Airport Authority's created flexibility for a changing industry.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All IT Careers White Papers |