HP board reportedly eyes Whitman for CEO job
Leo Apotheker may be on his way out
IDG News Service - HP's board of directors is reportedly looking to replace CEO Leo Apotheker, with former eBay CEO and current HP director Meg Whitman said to be a finalist for the job.
The planned change in leadership of the troubled company was reported by [All Things D] and others, citing anonymous sources. The appointment of Whitman "is by no means a done deal", according to All Things D.
Wall Street reacted favorably to the rumor: HP's stock price rose 7.6% at the New York Stock Exchange. Apotheker has been leading HP since September 2010.
If Apotheker is indeed ousted, it would be the second time in a row he lost a CEO position after a brief and rocky tenure.
He was [removed as head of software giant SAP] in February 2010 less than a year after being named sole CEO. The company returned to its previous co-CEO format, replacing Apotheker with insiders Jim Hagemann Snabe and Bill McDermott.
Apotheker faced a variety of pressures as SAP CEO, such as dropping software license revenues due to the global recession, as well as fallout from an unpopular decision to raise support fees.
Company morale also reportedly fell under his watch. Co-founder Hasso Plattner alluded to this at the time of Apotheker's removal, saying he would "do everything possible to make SAP a happy company."
Apotheker's tenure at HP has been marked by the failure of its Touchpad tablet, which the company is pulling from the market, and the decision to seek a buyer for its low-margin PC business unit.
Chris Kanaracus contributed to this story.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.