Intel announces new 710 series enterprise SSDs
The 710 series SSDs have 30 times more endurance than their predecessors, the X-25E SSDs
IDG News Service - Intel on Wednesday announced the new 710 series solid-state drives, which the company is pitching as a replacement for hard drives in enterprise servers.
The SSDs will come with capacities ranging from 100GB to 300GB and include features to protect data and enhance the life of the drives. The drives replace the previous X25-E SSDs, which were also targeted at enterprises, and have 30 times more endurance.
The drives are priced starting at $649 for the 100GB version to $1,929 for the 300GB drive, when purchased in quantities of 1,000. The drive was announced at the Intel Developer Forum being held in San Francisco.
The drives are MLC (multilevel cell) SSDs, which store bits of data at multiple levels in each cell, but provide the endurance of typical single-level cell (SLC) SSDs, where a bit of data is stored per cell. SLCs are considered faster and more reliable than MLCs in terms of endurance cycles.
The SSD achieves a random write performance, measured in 4K blocks, of up to 2,700 I/O operations per second (IOPS) and read performance of up to 38,500 IOPS. It has a write endurance of up to 1.1 petabytes.
The Intel SSD 710 includes a technology called HET (high endurance technology), which combines firmware enhancements, management features and algorithms to reduce data errors, Intel said.
The SSDs will be offered with Cisco's UCS B230 M2 two-socket server starting in September, Intel and Cisco said in a joint statement.
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- Accelerating Oracle with Preferred Reads Storage based configuration. View Now>>
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts