Hack brings down Linux websites
LinuxFoundation.org and Linux.com taken down
Computerworld UK - A number of Linux websites, including LinuxFoundation.org and Linux.com, have been pulled offline after a security breach.
In a holding message on its website, the Linux Foundation said that it had discovered a security breach on Sept. 8, which led to its taking down the Linux websites and their subdomains for maintenance.
The Linux Foundation infrastructure also supports services such as Open Printing and Linux Mark. However, it does not house the Linux kernel or its code repositories.
"The Linux Foundation made this decision in the interest of extreme caution and security best practices.
"We believe this breach was connected to the intrusion on kernel.org," the statement on Linux Foundation said.
While the Linux Foundation is restoring services, it warned users that their passwords may be compromised, and advised them to change them urgently:
"As with any intrusion and as a matter of caution, you should consider the passwords and SSH keys that you have used on these sites compromised. If you have reused these passwords on other sites, please change them immediately."
The foundation added that it is auditing all its systems, and will provide an updated statement when it has more information.
Users who want to find out more about the issue can contact the foundation on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts