China's Alibaba takes aim at Baidu search
Alibaba Group launched its eTao search engine to give Baidu sleepless nights, Alibaba's CEO said.
IDG News Service - China's largest e-commerce company Alibaba Group entered the search engine business so that China's leading search engine, Baidu, wouldn't sleep well, Alibaba CEO Jack Ma said over the weekend.
"If Baidu sleeps well then China's Internet users won't sleep well," Ma said during a speech at the company's annual Alifest this weekend.
Alibaba, best known for its Chinese e-commerce websites, launched a beta version of its new search engine last year called eTao.com. This put the company in competition with Baidu, which dominates China's search engine market with an 80% user market share, according to CNZZ.com, an Internet analytics web site.
Ma's comment was one of the first times Alibaba has publicly spoken about its intentions for eTao. In June, eTao was made into its own company under Alibaba Group.
Following Ma's comment, Baidu spokesman Kaiser Kuo said the company never obsesses with what its rivals are doing, but instead obsesses with what its usesr want. "As long as we are able to deliver that, we will sleep just fine," he said.
Both Alibaba and Baidu are the leaders in their respective markets. But even as Alibaba dominates China's e-commerce scene, many of the country's Internet users rely on Baidu to search for products online, according to analysts.
Alibaba's eTao site has been designed primarily as a shopping search engine, allowing users to query for products and group-buying deals. But the site also allows users to search for general web pages as well. eTao's market share, however, is so small that research firms don't list it.
Alibaba's eTao site launched months after Google decided to shut down its search engine for mainland China last year, a move that allowed Baidu to expand its market share to the point it has a near monopoly. Last month, the company faced criticism from a Chinese state-run television network in what analysts said was an effort by authorities to regulate the search giant.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts