Microsoft to overhaul Hotmail
The company promises a reinvention of the webmail service
"We listened. We learned. We reinvented Hotmail from the ground up," reads an invitation sent on Friday to journalists for press events to be held on Oct. 3 simultaneously in New York and San Francisco.
"Forget everything you thought you knew about Hotmail. Just don't forget this date," reads the invitation.
Hotmail's two main competitors are Google's Gmail and Yahoo Mail. The last time the consumer webmail market got a competitive jolt was in 2004, when Google surprised the world with Gmail and its then-unprecedented amount of email storage.
At that point, innovation in webmail services had stagnated for years but Gmail shook Microsoft, Yahoo and other webmail providers like AOL out of their comfort zone, as they quickly responded by increasing the size of their email inboxes.
Gmail also offered improvements in other areas, most notably with its superior inbox search functionality and with its consolidation of email exchanges into threaded "conversations" in which all replies are grouped within the original message.
It will be interesting to see if Microsoft is able to deliver in its new version of Hotmail innovations that rock the market and force its competitors to adapt their products.
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade.
- Peer 1's Mission Critical Cloud: Your Cloud, Your Way Peer 1 Hosting's Mission Critical Cloud offers the ultimate in flexible customization of infrastructure, resources and support. All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts