Lenovo expects to beat Dell in PC sales by year's end
Lenovo holds the No. 3 spot in global PC sales
IDG News Service - Lenovo's chairman believes the company will overtake Dell to become the world's second-largest PC vendor by the end of this year.
Lenovo chairman Liu Chuanzhi made the remarks Thursday while speaking to the Chinese news media. A Lenovo spokeswoman confirmed he made the comments.
In the previous quarter, the Chinese PC maker edged out rival Acer to take the third spot for global PC sales, according to research firm IDC. Lenovo's market share was at 12.2%, putting the company right behind Dell, which had a 12.9% share. Top-ranked HP had an 18.1% share.
Lenovo's chairman made the claim as the company has seen the fastest growth among the world's top five PC vendors. In the last quarter, the company's PC sales increased by 22.9% year-over-year. In comparison, Dell's PC sales only grew by 2.8%.
Analysts have said PC shipments have declined because of sluggish spending due to broader economic conditions, and because the popularity of tablets has eaten into PC sales. Lenovo, however, has put its fast growth down to expanding into developing markets in Latin America, Africa and India, while also protecting its home turf in China, where it has a 31.7% share.
Last quarter, China also overtook the U.S. in PC sales and shipments, according to IDC. While the U.S. is expected to reclaim the top spot later this year, China will become the biggest PC market throughout 2012.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts